HOW MANY COLORS OF O.E. IS TO MANY. - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

HOW MANY COLORS OF O.E. IS TO MANY.

tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
edited October 2012 in User Suggestions
I JUST WONDERING WHAT THE FORUM THINKS IS ENOUGH,CHANGE IS GOOD BUT...I WILL BE THE FIRST TO TELL YOU THAT OPAL,S ARE REAL NICE.AND SO ARE SEVERAL OTHERS ARE NICE,BUT THEY ARE SOME OUT THERE THAT ARE NOT GOOD AND HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS.

Comments

• you never can tell what might catch on, i guess theres no limit to the colors you can come up with. color doesnt mean much if the type is bad though. so far i havent seen a color i dont like, lol
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    CM,IM WITH YOU AS LONG AS THEY ARE GOOD O.E. QUALITY AND TYPE.
  • edited October 2012
    I am one who enjoyes tinkering with color genes and the oe have many recognized colors and many many more not recognized. Some may be worthy of admittance someday but most will probably never be worthy of admittance. I guess I don't feel there are to many colors, I feel that the large choice in color helps the breed thrive cause everyone is bound to like at least one of them.
    I raise Fawn Reds which are not recognized and I show them knowing they cannot win, but I enjoy seeing a variety of colors at shows. Maybe they will catch sometimes eye someday and bring someone new to our great hobby.
  • we have 10 or 11 colors, some are male and female lines, we do well with each color but its more like work than just being a hobby
  • I agree with all the above !!! Me being one that has had so many Varitys I can tell ya what Tracy is saying is true some of them have been out there for years ... And there in no better shape now than they when they were when they first come out .... Now I don't know if they were gave up on are what !!! There varitys In the standard that you don't see at the shows anymore ... Some of thoughs were gave up on I guess ... I'm one of thoughs people that likes something different something new .... And I guess thats why theres so many colors and varitys out there today ... Alot of us look for that in ways ... Two master Breeders ask me awhile back if I was going to see this thing with the Opals through ? Of course I told them Yes ... Then I was explained by one of them what he ment was not just seeing them reconized ... But seeing them Through ... Making the improvement needed for them to contend not only in there varity but all varities ... ( PUT THEM OUT THERE ) Not only one man can hold the best birds its got to be compeitive thats what will keep them going .... They told me they have seen so meny different varitys come and go it was'nt even funny ... And was'nt going to be easy with the Opals !! But it could be done ... One of them ask me same question TRACY just ask ........ How many varities of OE.s do you all people want while he was laughing ??? Then the other one spoke up and said I think we need to fix the ones we got don't you ... I just laughed with them ... What can you say to that !!! Now two years later ... I will tell you One of the Master breeders in that conversation is so intrigued with the Opals he is been trying to make them for his self and has help me in many ways ... He may just get a male bird from me before breeding season comes back around ... Now Whats Funny is That I know of and was told he has only had and cared about four varitys of OE.s his whole life - Blacks - White - BBs - Duck Wings - Just the main Ones . LOL
  • dusty. there are several of us in ky tn that is working right now to get the fawn reds in the standard. we have the paper work from the aba, and should have all the paper work sent in very soon. i raised around 50 this year myself. we hope to have a meet for them this year. we plan on bringing several to dalton. my birds have better type than some of the standard oe being shown today. patrick ledbetter has the paper work and soon should be sent in. mike price
  • for all breeders that like bb reds and blue reds will love the fawn reds in my opinion. :)
  • 1 of the things I see in many lesser variety's is there is no one promoting them, Talking about them, Posting pictures of them, entering good displays of them at shows year after year even though you know you are the only one showing, and knowing that you cannot win anything, It takes dedication,dedication and more dedication. And the problem doubles when a variety produces many off colored specimens and only a few correct per season, (non true breeding colors).
    Type improvement comes faster in variety's that have a simpler gene combinations that breed true to color.
    Pleasant expression also increases a variety's chance to entice others to breed them.
    The variety's that meet these requirements have a chance to step up the ladder those that don't will move down into obscurity.
    I have been promoting Opals for many years and I think they have the requirements (Beauty, True breeding, Type improvement simplicity, and so far have several good breeders dedicated to promoting the variety) The breeder base of breeders in the US is growing very fast and as long as we keep the variety in the fore front it will continue to move up the ladder and soon to challenge the top 5 in any show.
  • I Agree with these statements Ron has made and I also agree with Christina about liking all of them. Those who show really look for high and perfection in quality and color while some folks are content with not such a high level of perfection. As with Marvin's friend he just likes the challenge of breeding some of the strange and different colors and he is no less of a breeder of Old English than others. I just am saying different strokes for different folks. I enjoy the birds that breed true to color and even some of those are tough to get just right such as the SDW and the BB. Getting the right amount of one color in exactly the right spot is sometimes tough. I hear folks all the time saying they are a little light in the wing bay etc. So if a person chooses to work on any color they desire to work on there is a type for standard they should all fit and the colors that are recognized are posted for directions and if they aren't the space is wide open to make what you choose. The question of how many is enough is most likely answered with the sky is the limit. I am not in the category of breeding for showing but I do like to read and try to conform my birds to the standard which I haven't achieved yet but will continue to work that direction and enjoy the birds of all colors.
    As you notice though, I do like to put in my 2 cents worth on these topics and maybe even a nickels worth. LOL Oh and I am glad someone took up the Opals as I am enjoying messing with them also.
    Bill
  • So in you all's opionion do people give up on certain varietys because they are not popular or that it is just too hard to get the color pattern right along with type? Barred OE seems to be a good example of this.
  • Nope! I definately do not have that opinion and if I put that across I am sorry. I think one should work on any project they desire to better any color they wish to work with and keep the type at the same time. If I was you Richard, I would continue that color as it is something you really seem to like and I would encourage you to continue what makes your heart beat.
    Bill
  • I like the way you answered that Bill, the excitement of trying to do what seems impossible does get my heart to beating. :x
  • Heck No I agree with Bill on that one .... I cought all kind of crap the first three are four times I carried the Opals to the shows ... To be truthfull with ya Laughed at ... But there comming around ... LOL ... So are the Opals
  • the reason alot of colors get given up on, i think, is that there are alot more color varieties in OE than there are people that take them seriously and have the time, energy, and resources, and the know how and drive to see them through. there are several on this site, and a bunch of others not on this site, but not enough good oe people to work on every color. what a commitment that must be made and years of time, frustration, culling, culling, more culling. you guys really amaze me and someday maybe i can be half as good.this site is my fire. go opals! and go fawn reds!
  • I believe there is a color of OE for everyone interested in the breed, it does take years, real dedication, and personal drive to make a variety competitive in a show room but that goes well beyond just the breeder pen and genetic potential of the bird to develop. Many of the lesser varieties are set asside due to who works with them rather than any other reason. A spur of the moment purchase rather than seeking a variety out because they really like them.
    Anyone can suceed with a variety given time and focused effort but the personal interest must be there to continue the project, having and developing friends interested in the same variety will also make a big difference.
    Wayne and I were both working with columbian seperately a few years ago and each of us had our own problems with them but share the love of the contrast with the color pattern so niether of us will give up on the variety. Once we actually got in touch began sharing some birds back and fourth slowing interbreeding them and developing a great friendship through this process we are both seeing changes we like in the birds and seeing our goals come together, I know I would not have made as much as progress without wayne and his gene pool as I would have alone at this point.
    I guess what I am trying to say is raise what you like and someone else will also like it, work together for the beneifit of teh variety and you all succeed.
  • I agree with ya Carl 100%
  • "Raise what you like and someone else will also like it, work together for the benefit of the variety and you all succeed."

Carl Jarvis

Great quote!

• You all get a big amen from me, keep promoting OE no matter what color they are!
  • I know the combination could be endless, but does someone have a list of unrecognized varieties? Or can we start such a list?