Ginger Red - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ginger Red

edited September 2012 in Somethin' to Crow About
Ginger Red seems to be a rising variety, let's discuss the breeding of them here. Post pictures if you've got them.

Comments

• I have been raising gingers for a few years now. I have raised some that I thought were very nice. But when it comes to breeding them I have a few issues... offspring is very inconsistent. I can use a clean hackled male and produce striping in all male offspring. Females come anywhere from heavily patterned to very very lightly. This coming breeding season I plan to make a few crosses to see if I can make them produce more consistent offspring.
  • I would love to see some photos of your Ginger Reds when you get the chance.
  • our gingers have really good edging on the male and female, as far as color, we get both light and dark birds from the same breed pen. the washed out females we put in the sack. the males that have black in the wingbow or breast are also sacked. the males that we keep look something like the new hampshire color pattern, the darker colored males look simular to a black tail red, they are only kept if the have good type, the females range from the standard discription to really red in their base color. all have striping in the hackle and stippelling in the back with shafting .
  • I will try to post some photos later of the males and females, Tim Shelton is the go to man with the ginger questions.
  • Thanks Tater. And yes Tim definitely is... We need him to share his knowledge.
  • I will also post some pictures soon.
  • Tracy, I would like to hear your take on gingers. What do you look for in them when judging them. Are there any things in specific you don't like to see?
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    DUSTY, I LOOK AT GINGERS NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER O.E. IM LOOKING FOR GREAT TYPE AND GOOD SHAPE ON THEM.NOT TO LIGHT OR DARK IN COLOR GOOD WING EDGING AND NO DEFECTS.SOMETIMES WE WILL USE GINGERS IN THIS THEY ARE SEVERAL ON THE LIGHTER SIDE THAT ARE IN BETTER SHAPE OVERALL THAN THE DARKER ONES. IM GOING TO PICK BY THE STANDARD BUT IM ALSO LOOKING FOR THE BEST BIRD. THEN PEOPLE WILL SAY OH TRACY LIKES THE LIGHTER ONES,WHICH IS NOT TRUE I LIKE THE BEST BIRD.I WILL JUST SAY YOU HAVE TO JUDGE WHAT IS ENTERED.
  • Thank Legend on insure for fingers and even other tips. The best bird is the right pick, the best overall bird.
  • Sorry fingers and insure not insure
    YOUR ARE CORRECT DUCKWING.
  • This is not working gingers insite
  • 2011 National BV Ginger Red It was 7th best OE bred and shown by Willie Silvey, Moline, Ks. He also had 10th best with a cockerel at the 2009 OE National
    IMG_2009.JPG
    1800 x 1565 - 176K
  • Thanks Tracy! And Ron that is a good looking bird thanks for posting!
  • I agree, she is a beautiful little bird!
  • 2011 National BV Ginger Red It was 7th best OE bred and shown by Willie Silvey, Moline, Ks. He also had 10th best with a cockerel at the 2009 OE National
    I can see why! Ver nice!
    Bill
  • Here are some Gingers Cockerels i have raised, past and current.
    They definitely come in different shades, you can see that here.
    Pictures 2,3, and 4 are all brothers. Picture 5 is father of picture 1(still young)
    #80 Pink (2).jpg
    1024 x 752 - 155K
    #41 Green.JPG
    1024 x 767 - 230K
    #32 Green.JPG
    912 x 768 - 182K
    #29 Green.JPG
    994 x 768 - 144K
    #13 Pink.JPG
    889 x 768 - 188K
  • Here are some pullets past and current.
    Here again shows how differently they come.
    Picture 1 and 2 are sisters.
    #92 White.jpg
    1024 x 748 - 134K
    #86 White.jpg
    1024 x 761 - 164K
    #18 Pink P.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 279K
    #28 Pink (2).JPG
    1024 x 768 - 281K
    #78 Green.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 293K
    #83 Green (2).JPG
    1024 x 768 - 297K
    #94 White.jpg
    1024 x 577 - 159K
    #98 Green (3).JPG
    937 x 768 - 239K
  • Great pics Dusty! Thanks for taking the time to post them!
    DUSTY, I LIKE THE 2 MALES ON THE BOTTOM ROW BY LOOKING AT THE PIC,S YOUR FEMALES HAVE GREAT TYPE, GOOD JOB.