Wyandotte Bantams - Page 3 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Wyandotte Bantams

Comments

• I have black wyandotte
  • lotslesslotsless Albany Oregon
    I Posted a comment in the hatching season discussion..But thought i would comment here...My wife would like me to get some hens for layers...I would prefer bantams as they take up less space and less feed...As well as being good setters are the Wyandottes good layers? and do They make good mothers if i let them hatch and raise my OE bantams?
  • Had Wyandottes , But my Quail Belgians will beat them hands down. Best Layers & sitters I have ever had. Can't break them up. Sit some of them 3 times . Never quit the nest.
    Thanks James...I will check that out....I have a old Roll-x incubator that does a good job for me but its nice to have a good hen to set and raise the chicks...
    i know it would also make my wife happy if i had some hens for layers and she could stop hounding me about it..LOL
  • Wyandottes are heavier & tend to break some of the eggs.
  • I am strong believer that the wyandotte bantam is truly the all purpose bantam. Great layers and the size of eggs is not that much smaller then a standard leghorn egg. Great mothers also and when they set they can cover quite a few Old English eggs.
    Yes..that is a concern to me The hen breaking eggs and not to heavy and large as to maybe harm the small OE bantam chicks...My Birchens i have now are good setters and mothers..But if i use them it takes them out of my breeding pens if i want more chicks from them ....and if would be nice to have some hens that could cover more eggs
    James how does the size of he Quail Belgian egg's compare to others?..
  • They really lay a pretty good size egg. & everyone will hatch.LOLOnes I don't sit ,I throw over the fence, & 3 weeks later the baby chicks run back through the wire. LOLMy Grandson Spencer Cleary shows them Had Champion Junior Bantam 10 Shows in a row, & Reserve Champion Jr. Bird on the 11 . Plus 3 Grand Champions, & one reserve Show Champion in the open shows.
    Sounds like your and your grandson are doing well with them ..Thanks again for your input..
  • James has had them for at least 50 years
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    They really lay a pretty good size egg. & everyone will hatch.LOLOnes I don't sit ,I throw over the fence, & 3 weeks later the baby chicks run back through the wire. LOLMy Grandson Spencer Cleary shows them Had Champion Junior

Bantam 10 Shows in a row, & Reserve Champion Jr. Bird on the 11 . Plus 3 Grand Champions, & one reserve Show Champion in the open shows.
    Me and Scratch been looking for some of them. How much for a couple trios?
  • $10000000000000000000.00
  • If you are using wyandottes, definitely use only the bantam size. Although the LF will set you will probably loose some to the weight of the mothers setting on them.
  • Only have pairs ,raised too many males to sell trios. Pairs start at $50.00 .Good breeder pairs.
    Thanks
  • Cockofthewalk you need to buy a emu .get about 100 eggs under one.
    Can I keep her at your house?
  • Had two come in my front gate about 5 years ago .. gave them to guy down the road from me. Still there with cows.I keep that gate closed now.bring one to me call first so I can put a lock on that gate.
  • you are toooo funny!