how to keep hens from eating eggs? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

how to keep hens from eating eggs?

i walked in my pen earlier and there was a busted egg in the nest :-L

Comments

• Throw some Styrofoam pieces in there pens .. they will peck that instead !
  • Won't that kill them? Block up their insides? Or is that that the point? LOL
  • thanks ill have to try that later
  • edited July 2013
    Won't that kill them? Block up their insides? Or is that that the point? LOL
    Your talking about somthing that can eat a handfull of rocks ... lol No they will be all right .
  • edited July 2013
    I do this for young birds that are board to keep them from pecking at each other. THey do not eat the styrofoam. They just peck and tear off little bits and drop it. If they are on wire screen bottoms it looks like snow under the cage. LOL For egg eating I know some will put golfballs in the nest and when birds get it throuigh their heads that they can't penetrateit they stop egg eating.
  • Boil some eggs and crush the egg shell and all and feed it to them. Give em all they want. I dont know what it does to them but it sure helps.
  • Could be they are needing calcium.. buy some oyster shell from local feed store and keep a tuna can full or something similar in the pen and they will stop pecking eggs
  • Wooden eggs work for me. As soon as my pullets start laying I put one in the pen with them. Also make sure and don't leave eggs in any of your cages.
  • edited July 2013
    Golf balls also will work
  • Boil some eggs and crush the egg shell and all and feed it to them. Give em all they want. I dont know what it does to them but it sure helps.
    Have used this method for some time now. It's never taken more than three days to get a hen to stop eating her eggs. I learned this from an old man cocker friend, about thirty years ago.