pens - Page 6 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

pens

Comments

• Very true JW.
    Bill
  • lotslesslotsless Albany Oregon
    That is true Raven!
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    HERE IS A PICTURE OF THE SLIP SPUR CAGES. THE 2X4 WIRE WORKS FOR ME BECAUSE I HAVE 2 ACRES FENCED WITH DOGS INSIDE. NO VARMENTS. ONLY VARMENTS I DEAL WITH IS SNAKES. THEY SEEM TO SLIP PAST THE DOGS FOR SOME REASON? DOGS MAY BE LIKE ME....AFRAID OF THEM!
    dscn1529.jpg
    4608 x 3456 - 7M
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    HERE IS THE DIRECTIONS.
    doc
    doc
    SlipSpurCage.doc
  • Nice scratch
  • Here's a couple pens I just built using some crates a bought. The crates are almost 4 ft. square and almost that tall, $18.00 ea. or $15.00 ea. two or more. They have a frame built out of 2 by 2's and 2 by 4's with 3/4 in. plywood. The top is open so I just flipped over and cut out the sides and covered with 1 in. mesh wire, has a door in back that makes it easy to catch your birds at night for worming or whatever. Nest box off the ground on the roost. These have 3 by 4 timbers nailed on the bottom and I tried every way in the world to get them off but there nailed on using a nail gun and there must be 30 nails in each one so I just left them on and built around them then added the metal roof. The possibilities with these is endless, I plan on making some conditioning pens leaving the wood floor and adding the metal roof and will probably put a divider down the middle making 2 stalls. Added these pics that show before and after pen was complete. Also I have the pieces that I cut out that can be used for a lot of different things.
    100_1456_00.jpg
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    100_1457_00.jpg
    3472 x 2604 - 1M
    100_1462_00.jpg
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    100_1465.jpg
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    100_1466.jpg
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    100_1467.jpg
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
  • Those look good! Worth the money too!
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    great idea.
  • great pens , when people come by they come by to look at your chickens not your pens i admit nice pnns are impressive ,stain the outside of the pens theyre great
  • I was going to paint them but was in a hurry to get finished, maybe paint the next group or just leave them like that. The one thing I probably will do is add some treated lumber on the bottom.
  • not paint , use solid stain probably wouldnt hurt to put some treated on the ground , you can buy a 5x4 and rip it in half and screw it on the bottom every pen i build is made of treated wood and screwed together, for me , its a lot easier when i mess to take out the screws , than hammer the nail out
  • I like to use the screws also and I really do like those coated screws with the torx head on them. It is effortless to screw them in to the wood. Those are nice pens and I like the idea of the heaviness of them. 3/4 inch plywood is heavy so not only will they stand upright in the wind it will be a good insulation in the winter. Most of all I sure do like the price of them.
  • catman here are 2 of the latest pens they are 12 ft long 5ft high 4 ft deep the pens are app 3 wide x 4 deep , the only mistake , i should have made them all this size
    100_1004.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
    100_1005.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
    100_1006.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
  • Nice raven, I was think about building some just like those.
  • Raven I copied your pens.
    Bill
    NICE SET UP RAVEN.
  • Here's a few pens we been working on.
    20140430_170054.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 6M
  • good looking pens , quality work
  • ArmstrongOEGBArmstrongOEGB Coldwater, Michigan
    I agree. Nice set up, how many birds can you hold in them?
    NICE MARTY2