Mille Fleur - What is your thoughts? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Mille Fleur - What is your thoughts?

I raise mille fleur oeg and have put them into several different shows and only had competition once. I feel i have some very nice quality birds now, but i don't know since i cant compare them to other birds at a show. Also, does anybody think a mille fleur could ever win a show?

Comments

• tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    I WOULD SAY AS A JUDGE I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE YET THAT I WOULD PICK FOR BEST OF SHOW.BUT NEVER SAY NEVER.THERE IS SOME NICE COLORED ONES OUT THERE.
  • Thats what i figured. From the shows i entered, normally a solid color or at least a popular color wins. Not sure why most judges don't wanna pick that off color to win. I understand they unofficially have to appease the big breeders, but I personally always like the underdogs. Maybe if I wanna be competitive in showing, i need to show the more traditional breeds as well, lol.
  • Southern_Poultry did you put your Milles on Champion Ship Roll to compare them to other varities yourself.
  • Adam, could you possibly post some pics of these different varieties you have?
    Bill
  • I have had at least one go to championship row every show. Some i thought looked better than others, but I also know that even as a mille fleur, I dont have any to quality that it could win a show even if a judge would consider it. but i am working on it.
  • here is one of my Mille Fleur hens
    mille fleur oeg hen.jpg
    1296 x 972 - 457K
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    ADAM SHE HAS GREAT MARKINGS AND NOT BAD TYPE.
  • keep working on them, we put our gingers on champion row. we won with them and placed in the top 5. the best thing that happen to the gingers, the were compared to the bb, blacks, whites, sdw, brown reds and creles. if they didn't measure up, we put them in the sack
  • Thanx Tater. I have several babies fixing to hatch from my millies over the next 2 weeks. I will see what they turn out looking like and hopefully get an idea of where to go on breeding program. I also had a spare mille rooster, so i am crossing him with some blue hens to try and make some blue mille fleur. Its an experiment, so not expected a lot, lol.
  • Tater gave some good advise! A few years ago Self Blue was just another variety until the past couple of years. I'm sure a lot of hard work and dedication went into the breeding program, but, it paid off. A Self Blue was top 5 at the OE national show in 2012.
  • Southern_Poultry do you still raise oeg mille fluers?
  • I had some real nice type and colored Millie's from Thomas Taylor back 5 to 8 years ago and ended up selling myself out of them cuz the Midwest had never seen any
  • Here was a Male I got 12 years ago He was 9 in this pic.. U dont find millie males like him anymore..
    0331001653.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • one of my old females.. Fudgey (Steve Carroll) My partner has them now..
    0908001459.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 862K
  • Never messed with Mille Fleur Old English but many years ago I had D'uccles. I think the Mille Fleur color pattern is one of the hardest to get right. The white spangles get larger are more abundant with age. If you want to show hens you need to keep those pullets that are under spangled to have a chance to have well colored hen. Same with males. Getting a clear v shape bar to separate the spangle from the base color can also be challenging. This is not a variety for the person looking for an overnight success but then no variety is easy if you want to do it right.
  • I would like to buy some good Millie's for my dad give me a call 6155171006 or message me if u got some
  • gotgamegotgame Stillwater Oklahoma
    New millie cockerel
    image.jpg
    1529 x 1668 - 689K
    Young millie pair
    image.jpg
    1371 x 1600 - 656K
    Pullet
    image.jpg
    1825 x 1898 - 1M
  • I raise the Millie fleur d uccles but i like the Millie fleur color on the old english better