Selecting BB Red breeders - Page 4 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Selecting BB Red breeders

Comments

• Ok Wayne, I got it all transferred to Word and have a hard copy on my pen drive and on my computers. Hopefully if we ever lose the info again I will have this one for a copy for whatever needs arise. Thanks a lot for going through this as I am pretty sure a lot of school classes for the young ones would like to present it to their poultry breeders. I will have it for future references also. Thank you again for all the time and efforts you put into it.
  • Man this is some great stuff guys!!! Thanks for all the work ya'll did on this!!
  • Not boring at all kjundog, you're just adding fuel to the fire, keep it burning !! LOL
  • edited May 2012
    Just keep em coming Wayne!
  • i have been breeding my bb reds for about 3 years now. i havent had hardly any luck. does anybody have any tips???
  • State the problem and I'm sure there will be answers which could solve the problem. What favtors are envolved.
  • Dave & I sit in his back yard numerous times discussing B.B.Reds. He said he never got a bird directly from Bradshaw but got his 1st birds from Z.E.Lott from Georgia & Joe Thompson from Tennessee, Both were Bradshaw Male line. He later got the Female line from Wright & Workman which was Bradshaws female line.The males were nearly Wheaten colored. Dave & I both used to raise some young each yr with Yellow legs, showing the Light brown leghorn blood used to make them. I think that this is what still causes the soft ,loose feathering in most female lines that I have seen. :-I am wondering if any of the yellow leg ones still show up?* (*)
  • edited April 2012
    Its a funny thing that you mentioned the yellow legs in Dave's birds jcooper33. When Dave was winning everywhere with them, I saw several with yellow legs. I suspected then that someone had put Leghorn blood in them because his females were beautifully stippled when everyone elses wern't. They had the big tails too.
    Barry
  • I can't even beging to express thankfulness for this posting of all the beneficial facts reported by Wayne in this article! There is so much to learn from it and if you are attempting to breed BB Reds you should study this very closely. I just wish someone would put this and how to breed other varieties in a print so us Dummies could have a great learning book!
    Bill
  • Bill, Are they truly facts or just one man's opinion as he sees it? It sure is open for debate. But noone has come forward either to agree or to say I am full of it so I will accept your compliment. LOL Thanks, Wayne
  • It is good Wayne and I for one do appreciate all the efforts you put into it.
    Bill
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    What age should a cockerel be when his chest is solid black with no brown specks? I have cockerels that are 12 weeks with a few brown specks and wondering if I should cull?
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    I WOULD WAIT UNTIL THERE AT LEAST 6 MONTHS IF THEY ARE NICE BIRDS.COULD BE A CHANGE OF FEED OR STRESS MARKS.
  • Like usual Tracy is correct. Stress can cause discoloration in many sections especially wings and tail. I have actually seen a red bar in the main sickle of a matuire bird when he fell ill while molting and growing his tail back. Next molt he was perfectly fine. If type is good give them time.
    Wayne
  • One of my Proctor line males went to molting right in the hottest part of the summer and I sure thought I was going to lose him. His head went all pale and he hunkered down in the pen like a whipped dog and just set there. I treated him with different things but he still looked droopy and wasn't growing feathers like he should. Knowing the benefits of sunlight I moved him and his hens outside and after a couple of weeks he went to getting better but his coal black feathers had white scattered throughout his tail and wings. I feel real sure he will be ok but it sure was a rough time for him and he will not look like a pure balck until he molts again.
    Bill
    THIS MUST GO BACK TO THE TOP GREAT WORK ON THIS THREAD BY KJUNDOG
  • You are absolutely right Tracy, this thread is loaded with good stuff and I have taken the time to save all this valuable information to my collection of stuff to file so I will not lose it.
    Wayne spent hours compiling all this god stuff and I would love it if someone else took another Breed and did the same thing. You might be just the guy to work on the Wheaton and White project as you are a master breeder of them.
    Bill
  • Wayne has done us all a great service with his posts on the BB Red!
    BILL, I AM STILL WAITING ON YOU TO ANSWER QUESTION 10,REMEMBER YOU WANTED IT,OH TRACY WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO ASK MORE QUESTIONS.LOL.
  • Yeh Bill I want to see you win.
    480.jpeg
    480 x 640 - 98K