What do you feed your birds and what feed brand? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What do you feed your birds and what feed brand?

edited February 2013 in Somethin' to Crow About
Hi all, so I need to go buy some chicken feed for my birds today and I'm not sure on what type of feed and brand to buy for them...Right now I'm just feeding my birds some left over start and grow pellets that I had from the previous chicks...Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chai

Comments

• Everyone will have a different answer on this subject. Your best bet is to do a little experimenting with different feed and companys that are in California. You will probably not have access to most brands that everyone back east feeds. I have found feeds that have animal proteins in them work best for my birds. Some will feed pellets, some will feed crumbles, and some will feed a mixture.
  • Lonestar and Nutrena are the brands I use. Feed for results. Starter for starting and growing chicks, a gamebird breeder pellet for breeding birds during breeding season, maintenance diet for just holding birds over or in the off season a {bleep} mix of grain and pellet, conditioning a mix of the breeder pellet and the {bleep} ration.
  • Thanks...I guess I'll just see what my feed store carries then...lol...
  • Chai im in california also I feed game cock mix and I add oatmeal,peace it works good for me cuz wen they see me with my feeding bucket all my birds go crazzy im sure u can find it in ur local feed store.. U maight need to break it down for them I use a corn grinder I bought in a swapmeet.
  • I almost picked some gamecock mix too...Maybe next time when I'm at the feed store again I'll try it out...Thanks Mcoronas...
  • Hey guys, how come you guys can say gamecock mix and not get bleeped and when I said it, it bleeped me?
  • Thats a good question kdog... Well u can say it now lol... Thats hapen to me too with the word ass..
  • Maybe it could not understand your Cajun accent? lol
  • What accent. I talk like everybody else in this area. You know we all walk around saying SHOOT UM CLINT SHOOT UM.
  • I am trying the new formulations we have built here at Big V Feeds for the Game chickens. We have removed the Whole Corn and replaced it with Pop Corn, and 2 different Peas. we lessened the milo and upped the Wheat and Oats and then it has an alfalfa based pellet along with a protein pellet and 20% Egg Pellets. I was using some of it before and noticed even the large laying hens didn't really like the whole corn so we made some adjustments to the formulation to help it be more readily consumed. I really do like the idea of whole grain feed and have learned they will eat the protein pellets as they desire them. The whole grains seem to make for a harder bird as much as I can tell.
    I have been experimenting with these feeds for about 2 months and it seems like the ones on it lay just as well as those on other feeds. Having about 60 pens of birds it makes it easy for me to test different products and get results for my work place.
    Bill :-h
  • edited February 2013
    Wish I had that many birds to test different whole grains on...LOL...So I bought a 50lb bag of Nutrena Layer feed pellets, wheat, and milo...I mixed them all together and seems like they are liking the wheat more then the pellet and milo...Anyone try feeding there birds rice paddy yet?
  • hey chai I have use regular rice mix with the gamecock mix in the past my birds eat it really good didnt see much difference on the birds other than they really enjoyed it..
  • edited February 2013
    LOL...I guess I'll just have to stick with pellets for now since it have all the proteins they'll need...I just hate pellets because it makes there poop smells bad and sometimes give them diarrhea that's why I prefer to use whole grains to give them more solid poop and less smelly...lol
  • edited February 2013
    I know I posted this in the past but since the question came up again I figured I would do it again for the new comers. Here is the game ration I use. Hope you can read the label because my camera don't take good close-ups. Wayne

SANY0095.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 115K
    SANY0096.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 110K
    SANY0099.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 108K
    SANY0105.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 105K
  • Here is the tag for the one we are making now.
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
    Crude Protein, Min..............................................17.00%
    Lysine, Min……………..……….………………. 0.75%
    Methionine, Min………..………………….……. 0.30%
    Crude Fat, Min.......................................................4.00%
    Crude Fiber, Max...................................................6.00%
    Calcium (Ca), Min……..........................................0.65%
    Calcium (Ca), Max……….....................................1.15%
    Phosphorus (P), Min………...................................0.55%
    Salt, NaCl, Min.......................................................0.10%
    Salt, NaCl, Max.......................................................0.60%
    Vitamin A, Min.............................................6,500 IU/Lb.

INGREDIENTS:
    Wheat, Grain Sorghum, Corn Chops, Popcorn, Oats, Austrian Peas, Canadian Peas, Black Oil Sunflower, Soybean Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Pork Meat and Bone Meal, Grit, Soybean Oil, Dried Skimmed Milk, Yeast Culture, Molasses Products, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium/Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Citric Acid Press Cake, Vitamin A Supplement, DL-Methionine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Oxide, Salt, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Oxide, Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Salt, Dried Lactobacillus Fermentation Products, Dried Streptococcus Fermentation Products, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Products, Dried Brewers Yeast, Natural and artificial flavors added.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    HEY KJDOG THAT FEED LOOKS LIKE GUMBO.LOL.
  • Just add Crawdads and that gravy stuff!
    Bill
  • Bill, is that a feed you all are selling now or just testing?
    If so what is BigV calling it? Thanks
  • edited February 2013
    KJundog, I've seen a similar mix like that at the feed store yesterday and almost picked up a 50lb bag but I was told from one of the worker that it's best to just got with the layen pellets, it's good for both pullet and cockerel...I think I'll have to give the mix grain a try the next time I'm at the feed store and see how the chicken will reacts to the mix grains...LOL...Thanks a lot for the pics...

Chai