What are you working on ??? Unrecognized or Rare varieties !!! - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What are you working on ??? Unrecognized or Rare varieties !!!

edited December 2012 in Made from Scratch
Wanted to start a Thread to possibbly narrow down some of the searching for information. Tell us Who you are, where are you from and what (Projects) you are working on. This can be an unrecognized variety or a rare hard to find one that has slipped thru the cracks. In starting this thread In a hope to possibly connect the people with the same common Goal in attempting to advance a variety to the Standard or have a lil more help in making the new Standard. Please post any pics of your ( Projects ) and any info that you wish that maybe able to help anyone from a newcomer to a master breeder that shares your same goals in advancing that variety.You never know you someone coulda already tried what you are thinking and can tell you your on your way in the right direcction or to a headache lol. Thanks everyone I hope that we can get this ball rolling and help some people out.

Comments

• I am going to work on Buffs,just waiting till january to order me some.just hope I can get enough info and help from others to establish them.....I tried before but I did not have as many resources as are on here..looking foward to them....
  • As I am starting this, I'll fire it off I am Randal Hodges from North Florida. I am recently returning to the fancy. Along with my raising of a few recognized varieties I am undertaking 2 projects.
    #1 Attempt to bring a line of Buff OE back to the written Standard. And picking up an old project of making a true Blue crele. I am still in the research phase of the Buffs and will Start this spring.( I am waiting for Ideal to hatch gotta start some where cant locate any grown birds in my area ) so i will be a year behind with that side of it( unless some one has a Buff male or 2 they can let go of ) am starting an out cross with another breed buff variety ( either sc buff leghorn bantam or buff dutch ) will take any input or thoughts on that. and hopefully get on my way not trying to reinvent the wheel but figured a good (Life) project to undertake.
    #2 Was a thought a few years back but never acted on , and a nephew putting the wrong birds in his pens two years ago that inspired me. Blue Crele Started with a blue red rooster over a crele hen, all that was raised was a f1 male will be putting him over a crele hen and a blue red hen this year and see what will happen. If anyone has tried this before please let me know your outcome.
    I have seen a few pics here and there of both but varieties and will post pics as soon as i have some Thanks Randal
  • I am working on black-tailed reds, i don't know how popular they are everywhere else but here in eastern ky they are few and far between.
  • I am working on silver blues and plan to start on buff in the near future I plan to only use O.E with mine and not outcross to any other breed.
  • Hello. I am John Lasley from Indiana My project varieties are Birchen and Silver Blues. I am just getting started with both colors and plan to breed Birchen/Birchen and Birchen/Blue Silver next year to see where I am at before attempting to add anything else to the mix.
  • That should be Birchen/Silver Blue on the second cross.
  • Have been working on Red Quil this will be my forth year, not where i want to be but my color is reproducing it self ask thoes that have seen them and they will tell you. Also this is my 3rd year on BSDW and i have got some good enough to show . Showed them this year in Oklahoma and it was the first ones alot of people showing and looking had ever seen.
  • Hillbillyjr the black tailed reds are nice, I know a guy that has a pair, I'm sure they would be nice to work with, who knows I might have to talk him out of them ;)
  • mine are self blue, second year with them
  • I'm from Georgia and I'm working with blue quail. I had a good first year and even got to show some of them. I also am working with quail too. I raised some pretty good looking pullets this year. Hope to produce some good cockerals next year. Haven't met many people who have blue quail or show them. Would like to know if there is anybody else working with them.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    BLUE LINE WHEATON,S AND BLUE LINE BROWN RED.S AND A MALE LINE OF WHEATON,S
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    Tracy you have been working on those
    Blue lines for years now. When will you ever get them right?
  • The Un - Recognized Variety I am working on is Silver Laced. I will be using a Silver Duckwing and Birchen hen to help improve them.
  • Hahaha, Tracy thats really funny, Blue Brown Reds?????
  • Tracy now is that a Blue wheaten ??? would a blue line brown red be a lemon blue??? If you dont mind explaining it to a newbie. And Thanks everyone for replying so fast maybe others will find and use this thread and it may help them as it already has helped me. Is there anyone working on a blue crele or is it just me and Mr Tim?
    OK GUY,S BLUE BANDED WHEATON AND BLUE BANDED BROWN RED,S.AND SCOTT YOUR RIGHT BUT I WILL NEVER STOP TRYING TO GET THEM RIGHT.
  • Tracy that interests me but I have got enough on my plate as we speak but good luck would love to see some pics. And in my opinion I agree never Stop trying to get them right.
    OH DUCKWING KEEPS LETTING PEOPLE GET A HOLD OF THEM.I HAVE 1 MORE PROJECT BUT I WILL NEVER TELL WHAT IT IS.IT IS A SECRET,IN CASE IT DOES NOT WORK I WILL KEEP IT THAT WAY.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    edited December 2012
    I am working on my breeding, raising, and conditioning skills. So that one day I may set some birds down that are equal to others in my area. Believe me I have a long ways to go but that is what I am working on.
  • Now tracy no secrets lol that is what this thread is about to lay it all out so that others with possibly the same interest or goals can share info or possibly get on board and assist with your project. Scratch I belive all of us are working on your list of goals also maybe one day I will have learned enough that newcomers will be coming to me and asking questions as I am Now. And tracy I WILL let you in on my secret project of Samurai Attack Chicken ( take care of our Chicken Hawk problem down here in North Florida ) Need the Heart of an OE with the size of a Malay lol. Anyways headed to the Yard