BB Reds, Anyone have pics? - Page 6 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

BB Reds, Anyone have pics?

Comments

• one of my cockerels
    oe bantams 024.jpg
    438 x 329 - 52K
  • great looking birds fellas!
  • Very nice! Great color!
  • My BB males have very little edging on their primaries, to regain that do I just select for females with a stippled edge? is there any known side effect to getting the edging back? Ex. Keeping black out of hackle could lead to red shafting in tail.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks, Dusty
  • Good wing color can sometimes lead to red in the body as first year cocks. Especially a strong red patch on bow. If you are interested in showing cockerels only then that wouldn't matter. Got a few young males I saw this morning that is from a last minute pen of throw together birds. They are young but seem to be showing improvements in the edging of primaries. Most of mine show some on the first four feathers on the end but the feathers nearer to the secondaries are week in edging or solid black sometimes. Hoping to see improvements this year and that last minute mating I did just might do it.
  • So in your last mating what is different about the breeders that is improving this?
  • I really don't know. Used the same birds in other mating and don't see the same results. Must be something in that mating where the genes just came together right. Can't even tell you what females were used as I just threw some together and didn't even record it. Oh well, looks like the hit and miss method works once and a while. Not gonna BS you saying I planned this and pretending that I know what I am doing. Just wanted a few more chicks and those were the females that were still laying so I used them, It does help to be lucky at times. Sad part is they are so young none will be finished and ready to show untill 2013.
  • In my experience, good edging in the primaries is linked to red in the shaft of the main sickle feathers. Someone correct me if they think that I'm wrong on this.
  • Whenever I get time to take some then ill post some but they are in a molt. The males dnt have tailfeathers right now
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    DUCKWING YOU DONT NEED ANY MORE BBREDS, ARE YOU GOING TO DOUBLE DECK YOUR PENS.
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    He is gonna start free ranging them Tracy just in case he has to start eating them. They will be healthier that way.
  • edited October 2015
    Was lookin at my young Barnes pullets today and decided to snap a few photos to illustrate what I think will be real nice breeder birds in 2013. Wanted to illustrate the richness of breast and hackle color. They are darker then you would probably want in a show pullet but very much needed to produce show males. Hackle is really rich in color with head darker, Notice how evenly colored the hackles are and one shade. This is very important to produce males with even hackle color. Lightening up on ends in the female will produce those males that hackles lighten uo on ends.I know we all seen those males that have a lemon ring around the neck, These females will control that. Just thought I would share as we have alot of beginners who look for guidance. Paying close attention to the little details like this can reaslly make the difference.

SANY7041.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 107K
    SANY7043.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 103K
    SANY7044.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 83K
    SANY7046.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 80K
    SANY7047.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 83K
    SANY7051.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 80K
  • Thanks Wayne I just added all that including the pictures to my folder for later use.
    Those look like they should work! You got a bunch of them?
  • Got about 15 or so off that mating. Some better then others but all not to bad. Gonna take the best 4 or 5 and put back on their dad.
  • That will be a good deal those should improve a set of cockerels. do you have pics of any of the brothers to them?
  • Those are some nice pullets.
  • Males are still too young to show off. They are at that ugly stage but some show promise. Will post some when they are feathered better.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    YES SCOTT OH RANDY TRADED SOME CHICKENS LAST WEEK FOR 30 LBS OF ANGUS BEEF AGAIN.HE IS A OLD HORSE TRADER FROM WAY BACK.YOU KNOW I BROUGHT THIS THREAD UP LAST WEEK AND IT HAS STAYED ON THE FRONT PAGE SINCE THEM.THERE IS SO MANY GOOD THREADS IN HEAR YOU JUST HAVE TO LOOK.HOW ABOUT THE COFFEE THREAD OVER 400 HITS.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    One thing about it, I dont think Randy is going to go hungry. And if I get hungry, I'm going to his house.
  • i have the freezer full of beef and still have 350 bbreds mostly 3 mo give or take