Chocolate Old English - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Chocolate Old English

I am intrigued by this variety but know little to nothing about it except that it is comparable genetically to the Andalusian blue gene.

Who is currently breeding Chocolate Old English?

Comments

• tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    wayne fuller from plainview tx. has some.806-292-1745
  • my showing partner and I also have ben breeding and improving them.
  • They breed the same way
    Choc to choc 50% choc, 25% black, 25% sport
    Black to chocolate 50% chocolate and 50% black
    Chocolate sport to black 100% chocolate
  • edited September 2012
    Thank you for the contact information, Tracy.

Does Chocolate Sport x Chocolate gives 50% Chocolate Sport and 50% Chocolate?

And Chocolate Sport x Chocolate Sport gives 100% Chocolate Sport, correct?
  • edited September 2012
    Yes. But I have 2 question the % of sports. In 3 years ( 6 generations)of breeding them I have got alot of blacks and chocolate but only 2 sports. The blacks out of the breeding is good for only chocolate improving but other than that the genetics will throw junk. The result if crow wing to duckwing. In my opinion I would cull all the blacks your not using as not to have someone buy them and think there black when there actually not genetically. Just my opinion.
  • I agree with that Tim you would not want to hurt someone elses breeding program with yours ... And that would unknowing what they had ...
  • Can you breed a black over a fawn silver duckwing to get chocolates?
  • Yes. From that take the chocolate pullets back to black to get chocolate males with dark legs. It may take a few generations of breeding back to black to clean males plumage color.
  • Females u will get good color after 4 generations and males will take 6-8 generations to breed the brass out..

That is the way Cocky and I both breed them..
  • ok here is some of mine . I used the Bill Wulf Black over chocolate hens. he made great females not so good males.. the 2 hens and cockerel are 3 generations off of this breeding.
    blkchoc.jpg
    720 x 488 - 105K
    chocolate.jpg
    960 x 720 - 149K
    chocolate2.jpg
    960 x 541 - 75K
    chocolate1.jpg
    960 x 851 - 112K
    TIM,THEY ARE LOOKING GOOD MAYBE THE BEST CHOCOLATES IVE SEEN.
  • edited October 2012
    Thank U it was a lot of work and culling... Might Have 15 total in the breeding program out of easy a 100s hatched... My Partner showed and sold some at Shawnee .. still a work in progress.
  • here are some i raised...
    100_3177.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 2M
  • nice where did u get your start?
    jason iphone 455.JPG
    480 x 640 - 148K
  • this is the first chocolate i raised this year but was wondering if he is getting too dark? the other question i had is it possible to cross a opal with a chocolat in order to lighten my birds. i can not find any sports. the opals are the same as blacks because they came from blacks and you dont have to contend with all the other colors in your birds like using fawn silver duckwings. not sure if it would work but was wondering if anyone has an opinion
  • Just breed him to a light chocolate hen it should lighten and maybe u will get your sports.
    JW HE ALMOST LOOKS BLUE IN THE PIC IM SURE IT IS THE PIC.ANY WAY HE IS A NICE LOOKING BIRD.AND WELCOME TO THE SITE.
  • thanks he is chocolate it is the pic he still needs some work but it is fun. sold all my other birds so i could focus only on the chocolates.
  • edited October 2012
    Nice bird jwnicklas. Welcome to the site.
    From what Tim wrote in his book about opal it inherits as black. So use opal as if it were black. what it would do its make your chocolates split for opal so they would carry opal without showing it until offspring get two copies of the opal gene and then it will pop back out. I wouldn't recommend it because once introduced you will never know which birds carry opal unless you test mate them.
    Ron or Carl correct me if i'm wrong, but that's how I understood opal genes.
    I think Tim Neves' suggestion is right on.