Ginger Red - Page 2 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Ginger Red

Comments

• Thank you Tracy! Much appreciated!
  • Dusty, I am not as picky as some! They all look nice to me!
    Bill
  • good looking birds, good black tails, good type, most of the females have good color. the males look alot like what we have. looks like you get a mixer of colors like we do. the little pullet that won at the nationals, very typey!!! looks like some old vannoy stuff?
  • Ok so I have some questions for those that have more experience than I. I know that in a ginger male that striping in the neck is undesirable but do you pick females that have little to no striping to fix this? Also I was told when I raised gingers the first time that to keep the black out of the wings in males to use the females that have little to no stippling in the wing. Is this true? Next I know males should have no shafting in the tail but should you only breed from females that have solid black tales? Also I know that edging in the primaries is a must but what does this affect. Sorry for all the inquisition but I want to get all this straight before this next years breeding season.
  • the females we use have stippling all the way, with no problems, both male and female have wing edging, the females have good black tails, males too. we try to not keep females that are not clean in the breast. i thing the edging has some effect, like in bb's loose the edging the black starts to appear. we try not to keep males or females with light shafts in the feather.
  • So looking back at dusty's pictures. Would you stray away from the females with hardly any stippling in the wing?
  • Ktown, I will be breeding my cleanest male to the first and second pictured females. I will let you know of my results of each mating.
  • Dusty, those are some handsome looking Gingers!
  • yes we try to stay away from that. the thing behind this, that washed out female will produce more females like it, maybe washing out the males too.don't want your males looking like black tail buffs.
  • Here are some birds I kept this year. The first one is a darker cockerel I kept out of my beason birds. The second is a lighter bird from my sorrels birds and so are the pullets. I went from around 80 birds to 10. I saved these two males and one other to breed from next season. I only kept females with solid black tales,good edging and smooth stippling through out. They all also have clean breasts. Let me know what you think.
    bcockerel1.jpg
    1728 x 976 - 142K
    JCockerel1.jpg
    1728 x 976 - 268K
    jpullet1.jpg
    2592 x 1456 - 724K
    jpullet2.jpg
    2592 x 1456 - 437K
  • I like the type on the first cockerel and the color on the second cockerel. the second pulet is very nice, good color and type, looks to have a nice body
  • Ktown, I agree with Terry on the males, as well as the pullets. The first pullet looks nice to me also just lacks a little in pattern for a show female.

Tater, I agree that the washed out female will probably produce more washed out females, but i plan on it being a mating to produce show males only and male breeder females so I'm ok with that. I don't feel she lacks anything in color, just in pattern. Which i hope will help produce cleaner males. I hope it doesn't wash out the males, and in that sense it is a test mating.

If I find that using washed out females washes out male offspring then maybe a breeding from a bird like ktowns first picture of the male that is maybe a little to dark to a washed out female will balance out their offspring correctly.
  • edited September 2012
    I have been breeding old englishs for about 5 years and gingers was one of my first birds. To me they are the hardest ones to breed, i can get the color right and the type will be off or i can get the type right and the color will be off. gingers color comes so many differnt shades it just hard to get it all just right. I have a cock bird that i really like and i breed him to 6 hens this year and got some that i like pretty good but they still need some work. Gingers standard reads like a bb red, Head and back lustrous red with the back a lustrous (rich) red so it should be a little brighter, the neck and saddle is bright orange yellow with the breast a ginger red so that is five different places are 4 different colors not counting the tail and all the different colors on the wings so there not a solid color bird at all this is the main reason they are so hard to get right. I have seen them shown from black tail buff to black tail red and solid colors i have shown all different color just to try and make sure i have the color the judge is looking for but you just dont hardly see one the color the standard really calls for.
  • edited September 2012
    Bantam, thanks for your input. You should show some of them off. I know you have good ones cause I ended up with a few of them.
  • I had some i was going to post but this computer wont load them on here. Dont know whats going on with it.
  • That's why I got some light breeders and some dark ones. I personally like the darker ones better.
  • I'VE NEV ER SEEN A MALE THE COLOR THE STANDARD CALLS FOR. THE FEMALES, TO ME COME CLOSER TO THE STANDARD. ANYBODY ESLE SEEN A GINGER RED THAT COLOR?
  • Seen males the color of the standard 20 years ago but the males today sure have changed.
  • Here is some bird of mine they are out bantam birds. The one in the middle is a 2011 bird mom on the left and dad on the right. Dusty this rooster is a brother to your rooster u hatched out of bantams. I like the Ginger Reds they are my favorite we still got a way to go with them. imageimageimage
    IMG_2246.JPG
    450 x 337 - 107K
    IMG_2991.JPG
    640 x 360 - 73K
    IMG_3000.JPG
    640 x 360 - 76K
  • Roosterman they look very similar to my birds. You show with bantam right?