Who has lost a bird at a show? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Who has lost a bird at a show?

adminadmin Durant, OK
edited September 2012 in Madder than a Wet Hen
I am truly "Madder than a Wet Hen" over this one. My youngest daughter entered her Call Duck in our county fair. We can time it to within 15-20 minutes of when it was taken. Liz was constantly playing with her duck. If she wasn't putting it in the horse water tank to swim then she was sneaking into her bathtub. She's so frustrated and mad at herself for entering him now. We have been trying to remain positive about the ordeal (hoping some how he will return, I know it's not likely but it helps to calm her down)...

I've noticed some people putting zip ties on show coops until the judging get close. How effective is that? What else can you do to keep your birds from "running" off?

I'd love to hear about everyone's experiences and advice on this topic. I'm hoping sharing could help others.

Comments

• I have lost more chickens to two legged varmints, when it should have been a four legged varmint, sorry about the loss you experienced, it seems to never surprise me at the lengths that some theives will go just to accomplish evil! Again sorry about your loss.
  • I also am sorry for the loss Sherri! It saddens me that these things happen. I would rather give something to someone than to have it stolen from me and you know they will never enjoy that bird for the stealing will always be there to haunt them!
    I hate it for your child, that is heartbreaking!
    Bill
  • That is a real shame and I`m sorry for your Daughter! Stealing a child`s pet is just cold blooded!
  • Sorry to here about your loss. I know how much you all loved that grey call male. Maybe someone on the site will know where your daughter can get a good pair to raise some out of. Sorry again. It would sure be nice if it returned today.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    edited September 2012
    Im sorry to hear about the girls loss on the duck. Hope he shows back up. I dont have any ducks but the girls are welcomed to some chickens that i have.
  • Sherri, I am so sorry Liz lost her duck!! I have to say that is one of my worst night mares when it comes to showing animals. And not so much that we lose and animal, but that it is my CHILD'S animal.
    At the shows where we take our birds on Friday and show on Saturday, I DO zip tie my pens. We all know that a little zip tie won't stop a determined person.
    Darla Barnes uses cage C rings to secure their coops at shows.

Hopefully Liz's duck will reappear!
  • I am sorry to hear that happened, I have heard that happens ocassionally. I hope your child gets blessed with an equal or better replacement even if the lost one is returned.
  • sorry for your little girl, we had a very good brown red cockerel and some one borrowed it when the judges were picking champion row. now we try to zip tie all the pens. I know this is 2012, but i think a chicken thief should be shot on site!!!!!
  • What state are you in Sherri? I just saw a pair of call ducks go up for auction online.
  • We had a guy try to "borrow" one of ours a few years ago. Dad went to his car and got it out of his showbox. Only an idiot steals.
  • Sherri did you find your little girl's duck? I was hoping it might show back up in the night os someone may have found it.
    Bill
  • adminadmin Durant, OK
    He definitely was stolen. We have witnesses. I filed a police report. I'll do everything I can to try to keep them from doing it again.

I don't know what the world is coming to when individuals can see a kid playing with a pet then steal it when they put it down. :(
  • That is good someone saw it happen though, maybe they will be caught and prosecuted and maybe get your duck back.
  • I hope that these things don't happen too often!
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    A SHOW THAT I WENT TO THIS YR.I HAD A BB RED PULLET THAT WAS IN A CAGE ABOUT 10 CAGES DOWN AND THERE WAS A PULLET IN MY CAGE.MY PULLET WAS 1ST AND THE PULLET THAT WAS IN MY CAGE DID NOT PLACE, I GOT HER BACK I KNOW THAT IS WAS NOT THE JUDGE THAT DID IT. BECAUSE THE SHOW WAS JUDGED SATURDAY AND WENT BACK SUNDAY TO COOP OUT AND THE CHANGE HAPPEN SAT.NIGHT OR EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.BESIDES THAT I HAD 3 CHICKENS STOLEN THAT I HAD FOR SALE IN THE SALE AREA ONE TIME.I HOPE THAT WHO EVER IS DOING THIS GET WHAT THEY HAVE COMING TO THEM.
  • Yeah, me too, forgiveness!
    Bill
  • It's getting bad when people stoop to stealing chickens.
  • adminadmin Durant, OK
    There's a good ending to this story...

I just brought home Lizzie's duck. It's sad that some choose to make a career of stealing. However, it makes it easier to press charges knowing this wasn't a one time mistake. Combined with everything else, this person probably won't have a chance to do this for a while.

I am thankful for the good people who stood up for what is right and led us to Mr. Calls. You wouldn't believe the look on her face when she saw him!
  • Congrats Sherri, that is one thief that will think again before doing something similar, that must have been quite a task to chase them down.
  • The late Jack Yoder used to put small locks on his birds after judging.