White OE - Page 6 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

White OE

Comments

• Whatever happen to Bill Tripp, is he still around? Does Benny Hartman still have the female whites?
    161.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 62K
  • I really feel like a person of interest in White OE is Roy Leftwich. I purchased some female lines from Roy and have raised some very nice females out of them. He was very nice to deal with and once I started talking to him I couldn't hardly leave his place. They live just north of me about 50 miles and so I have had occasion to visit him and enjoy his birds a lot. I don't see him posting here or anywhere else but he has a nice setup and has been good for the breed.
  • Benny Hartman still has whites.
  • Just wanted to post a picture of one of my old cocks, not a very good picture, he was hiding behind his woman like I do!
    IMG_3505.JPG
    600 x 480 - 131K
  • Bill has a lot of really nice whites. Thank for showing them to us Bill.
  • yes he does. the pair wanda got from you very nice. thanks again.
  • Thank y'all very much and my wife and I enjoyed y'all coming and it would have suited her if y'all had taken a lot more. LOL
  • I use to raise white wyandotte bantams. In them there are strains that have what is known as the stay white gene. Typically the birds carrying this gene have a grayish tint in the down color. I do not know if this gene exists in the Old English.
    Wayne,
    They are the same in OE, the whites that hatch with a slight grey tint almost columbian looking but a bit lighter are the ones you keep to breed from, some may even develop some black ticking but these birds stay white or brass very minimally it is a good trait to have in the white and easily lost as the birds loos the chick down quickly. I always toe punched these chicks differently when I raised the whites so I knew what they were when they matured. Then could select for this appearance as well as type and feather later.

• That is exactly what I had in mind to do. I have pretty much narrowed it down to that by way of elimination and I was trying to find me a Lemon Blue sport to introduce into them. They are Mike Green whites several generations removed and I got them through Dewayne Ballard. I am real assured they are the Mike Green line as they have the silver gene in them. I was thrilled to get hold of them and I have gotten a few raised but have probably lost appx. 50 or so of them as chicks. they are hatched healthy and stout and then some just die in a day or so and others make it to a month maybe and then die. After they make it a couple of months they usually don't have any problems. I appreciate your advise on the matter because in all honesty I was fishing for this exact answer. I had already ruled out most everything else and I was curious if anyone out there had knowledge that there was such a thing as the lethal genes thing as I have never ran into it but have heard of it.
    Thank you so much and the paintings you do are beautiful.
    Bill
    Bill,
    If these birds came from Roy and you are having a hard time with them try this, it has worked for in the past woring with the whites.. Otherwise it may still help and I will explain further below.
    Add a bit of wheat germ oil (1 1/2 oz to a 3 lb coffee can of feed) for the breeders. For the first week after hatch add 1/2 tablespoon of redcell to a qt of water.

the addition of wheat germ oil improves hatchability and chick survival rates in hard to raise and older breeder birds.
    The addition of Red cell for the first week will help offset any vitamin deficiency within birds that have become vitamin dependent over many generations. Far too many have freely provided vitamin added water and feed to breeders and young birds throughout thier life. Over the course of many generations this has an affect on the offspring to properly absorb and retain what they need. You can breed past this but will take some time.
    The next thing to consider the Silver whites are a truly recessive white with additional deficiencies that does make them a bit harder to raise but well worth the effort. Don't give up on them you can work past most of the introduced problems.
  • Thanks Carl, this is good advise and I will give it a whirl. Thiscould actually be good advise for the chicks hatched from anything I suppose. Correct?
  • Correct, the older birds with hatching problems any bird with poor survival rates of chicks, it does help.
  • edited June 2012
    Thank you Carl! As always you are most helpful.
    Bill
  • Just wanted you guys to see what my Whites in South Africa look like!
    DSC07528sm.jpg
    800 x 535 - 64K
    DSC07496sm.jpg
    800 x 535 - 69K
    DSC07783sm.jpg
    800 x 535 - 45K
    DSC07788sm.jpg
    800 x 535 - 64K
    DSC07804sm.jpg
    800 x 535 - 69K
  • Those are very nice birds DM! I suppose they are of good type in your area, as they are somewhat different than our birds in this country. The tail of course, is the main difference to me. Nice looking birds though and it sure looks like you care for them good which is a real accomplishment for you. To me it doesn't matter what kind you have as long as they get proper care. They look nice.
  • Thanks Bill, caring for any animal of mine is a high priority for me! Thank you for your positive comments...
  • Just wanted to post a picture of one of my old cocks, not a very good picture, he was hiding behind his woman like I do!
    Your Whites and Blacks are really very nice, Bill! LOVE the cock in background!
  • Are the birds typical of the type in your country for OE game bantams?
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Very Nice dm2010. I especially like the cockerel in top left picture.
  • Yes, the basic type is a very broad back,round form when handling the bird and must be very tight! I won the Hardfeather bantam division at our SA champs with the stag in the second pic and the judge told me it was mainly based on the handling of the bird! We do not care much about tails but that is the reason I would like to import OE from USA, mainly to get our over-all appearance of OE balanced!..
  • Well, they look really nice and I am glad you posted the pictures to look at.