White OE - Page 5 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

White OE

Comments

• I have 1 bloodline of Whites that for some strange reason are very hard to raise. Sometimes the chicks die early, the first day or 2 and sometimes a little longer a week to three weeks. some do fine and stay healthy and mature but I have a high mortality rate on this one line of birds. I have heard others talk about whites being hard to raise but I do not have any trouble with my other strains. Any ideas or knowledge of my dilema?
    I might add that I have not observed this in any other line of poultry I have including the other Whites that I am dealing with. This is the second year and I am about ready to scratch this line if someone doesn't have any answers.
  • Some lines have lethal genes inbred in them, so it would be best in my opinion to cross them with another line and use their offspring.
  • That is exactly what I had in mind to do. I have pretty much narrowed it down to that by way of elimination and I was trying to find me a Lemon Blue sport to introduce into them. They are Mike Green whites several generations removed and I got them through Dewayne Ballard. I am real assured they are the Mike Green line as they have the silver gene in them. I was thrilled to get hold of them and I have gotten a few raised but have probably lost appx. 50 or so of them as chicks. they are hatched healthy and stout and then some just die in a day or so and others make it to a month maybe and then die. After they make it a couple of months they usually don't have any problems. I appreciate your advise on the matter because in all honesty I was fishing for this exact answer. I had already ruled out most everything else and I was curious if anyone out there had knowledge that there was such a thing as the lethal genes thing as I have never ran into it but have heard of it.
    Thank you so much and the paintings you do are beautiful.
    Bill
  • An F & P white brood pen.
    2012-04-06 15.30.18.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 2M
  • edited April 2012
    bill the whites , mike had came from roy leftwich , and are benny hartman stuff they re probably the good ones , as theyre hard to raise , usually the average ones , you can lay them out on the top of a coop and they will hatch a few years back we were at connersville dan ? from ala , had a pair of whites , i asked what he wanted for them , he said 15.00 , they had colds , said ronnie mccraw had donated them to the club and they auctioned them off and he bid the 15.00 , that frank reed had bid on them and he did it to bug frank , any way he got them , against my better judgement i bought them that year i had 20 or so single matings of blacks , i had the whites in another room in show pens i think she layed every day , and ill guess they all hatched i raised less than 50 blacks , i raised over 30 whites , and they all were junk i gave them all to a friend , what was sad these blacks were sheriff blood , niles bates , jack neal, wl dickson blood top blacks the female line blacks from wl were the red and black banded birds that were the same as david varnadore had , i raised very few and later lost these birds oh well you live and learn raven
  • Who did you sell those whites to? sounds like I could get them and work with them for 10 years or so and then I would get them just right and then they would not lay well and most of them would die, but the 3 that I would save would be GOODENS, huh?lol
    Sometimes I do think we breed to the detriment of our flocks.
    What lines of black are you working with now, Raven?
  • edited April 2012
    bill the only blacks i have are sheriff blood in males , ive had them a number of years really they are mine , but i refer to them as sheriff thats where the blood came from i have a little sheriff female blood , the other female line is from jack neal jack is a great guy , and friend , jack got this blood from wl dickson , he added a little sheriff blood , another friend nile bates , had some sheriff blood as pappy would let niles have blood , and got some back , niles was a great breeder , niles had this little cock , jack liked him enough he paid nile 350.00 plus gave him some other blood also , jack bred the dickson stuff straight , he told me the only blood he ever added to them was from the little sheriff cock , these are female lines , but thats the only blood i have , w l got a lot of stuff from sheriff , and sheriff got stuff from wl , the sheriff blood and dickson was what i know and was told was essentially the same , pappy sheriff had the best male line and wl dickson had the best female line , jw
  • I would like to see some photos of Tracy's whites he won with to get his master awards.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    ME IN 70s. HOW BOUT THAT HAIRDO?
    SOME OF MY WHITE OE I RAISED FROM MID 70s TO 1993. 60 STARRED WINS ON WHITE OE. ME AND BILL TRIPP AND RALPH SHERIFF JR. LOOKING AT WHITES. HOPE YOU ENJOY.
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM6.JPG
    516 x 659 - 131K
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM7.JPG
    657 x 449 - 105K
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM8.JPG
    411 x 290 - 42K
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM9.JPG
    655 x 516 - 175K
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM10.JPG
    508 x 531 - 113K
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM11.JPG
    501 x 524 - 91K
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM12.JPG
    506 x 518 - 88K
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM4.JPG
    503 x 517 - 94K
    04-09-2012 09;54;01PM5.JPG
    503 x 517 - 78K
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    Tracy you really have some great pic's. History being preserved here.
  • edited April 2012
    Now that is some coll pictures. Love the hairdos. In 1973 I could I could tuck my hair in my belt. LOL
  • Thanks Tracy! Here is a Tracy Hill white k. Nice photos, Tracy.
    161.jpeg
    640 x 480 - 62K
  • That's a good one. One thing comes to mind when I look at it. Balance. Nice dubbing job on that bird. Funny how a great looking head can really compliment the whole bird.
  • edited April 2012
    These are some super pictures guys. Man you have to really love all these interesting conversations and the neat photos people have! Thanks for sharing them with us. I also think it is a great thing what all of you have accomplished for the breed.
    Bill
  • Really like seeing the old photos!! Thanks for sharing them!!
  • edited April 2012
    This is another one of my white males.
    White Bt.jpg
    600 x 480 - 127K
  • Another one, Phil Harriman, Aledo, Tx.
    20100425_0053.JPG
    800 x 640 - 174K
    LETS HERE ABOUT SOME WHITES.
  • I have a few hatched and Allen has some. Maybe some breeders will post and send photos of nice clean whites.
    COME ON OTIS I HEARD THAT YOU RAISE WHITES.