White OE - Page 4 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

White OE

Comments

• DH, What line of whites do you have?
  • Well to tell. You the truth I don't know bought my breeders about 5 years ago from a guy at a local show.
  • I would like to see some of josh's male line whites off of roys stock.
  • I would like to see more of the pictures of several breeders that are out there.
    Marvin Cagle has some really nice whites as we all know. Roy Leftwich has some nice ones also. I know there are a lot of them around and I jsut enjoy looking at the pictures. I might add that it doesn't have to be White for me to like it!
  • Here is one I took today.. Just got home. 14 hour flight is tiring.
    The parents are the on the right
    2012-03-30_19-13-58_427.jpg
    1288 x 1236 - 636K
    White (3).jpg
    480 x 467 - 69K
    031112172036.jpg
    1058 x 860 - 211K
  • Ill try and get a better one tomorrow
  • the first pic is a white female line image

heres A MALE LINE MALE FROM OTIS
    027.JPG
    720 x 540 - 192K
  • Some pretty, pretty birds Josh.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Nice birds Josh.
  • here is my Res. of breed today at Forsyth Fowl Fanciers Show at Winston-Salem, Nc

015.JPG
    4000 x 3000 - 1M
  • heres the same pullet that i won with today, but this is when she was about 6 months old..... the pic from today is after she molted and got back in feather...... she looks totally differentimage
    094.JPG
    800 x 600 - 274K
  • Josh, I really like the head on that male. That female is sharp also. I know you had a heck of the time keeping them things white but what ever you are doing is working. It is the main reason I do not fool with whites. You need to share your method with others. Wayne
  • heres a hen from Otis Fieldsimage
    028.JPG
    600 x 450 - 163K
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Congratulations on the win Josh. Nice bird too. Well deserving.
  • edited April 2012
    Super nice birds! Now this is what I really appreciate y'all posting. Beautiful birds.
    Thanks for posting them. Like Wayne though, it would be nice if you would share your info. LOL
  • I had the silver gene show up in my whites last year,one of my cockerels came with it and he never did get white he look like an opal. The pullets that had it where white but each of them had a small black feather in there wing. I keep the pullets and breed them back to there father and i am haveing some chicks coming from them that are a gray tint to a blacker looking color. I got rid of the cockerel cause i didnt really like the type on him but i dont know if i really like that silver gene yet anyway. I raise my whites in a 2x2 stall and keep them out of the sun light and they stay good and white anyway. I was always told if you could find a white with a black feather in it breed from it but if they come like the cockerel i had you could never show him and if they had black feathers in them you couldnt them either. Like i said this is just my second year of it showing up so i dont know much about it yet.
  • My method is just keep them inside and not in direct sunlight... I feed purina flight conditioner to my whites... and some times I take the females outside and let them have some grass.... now when I wash my birds for the show, I wash them in my bathtub with dawn dishsoap and white bright and dry them with a towel and a blow dryer.. that's just pretty much all I do so its not nothing special that I do
  • I use to raise white wyandotte bantams. In them there are strains that have what is known as the stay white gene. Typically the birds carrying this gene have a grayish tint in the down color. I do not know if this gene exists in the Old English.
  • edited April 2012
    I have been messing around with it for a couple of years and have some experiments in progress now. I first stumbled on to it when I bought a trio of Mike Green Whites off Dewayne Ballard. I noticed the chicks came with a bluish color and was confused about it at first but as I looked on different sites I found a thread where they were talking about this stay white gene and as I read further I read that Mike Green had this gene in his White Old English so as you would say 2+2 and it got me excited to find out how this was done. I know very little about genes and how they work so I started studying more of it on line and after a while I was ready for the experiments.
    Those that have come in that strain have been ok and I haven't made any outcrosses of them except I was able to pick up a cockerel this spring and I have him over one of the Mike Green pullets that I raised. I have eggs in the incubator now from that mating so I will see what transpires there. I have recently got some information from Carl Jarvis on how to get it done so I am looking for the right male to do it with now. I still have some other trials that will accomplish the same thing and it is just fun to see what results you come up with. The problem with it is sometimes you come up with undesireables that have to be destroyed, but that is the case with all breedings. I am thankful for the input on the subject and if there is a correct way that someone wants to share, I and others will appreciate it, however I feel like I have the answer I was looking for from Carl. I can only appreciate Carl for his willingness to help others and share information.
    Thanks to all.