Problems in hatching eggs? - Page 6 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Problems in hatching eggs?

Comments

• tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    TIM THEY ARE TO SHORT LEGGED TO DO THE JOB.
    I HAVE HAD 3 WEEKS OF GREAT HATCHING KNOCK ON WOOD.
  • Tracy these blacks will rape a female no feathers on their heads I also trim all males and females.
  • Tim, I know you probably know this but I will mention it for the benefit of others. The short legged gene in Japs is a lethal gene same as in pigeons. Breeding two short legged birds together on average will produce 50% shortlegged birds, 25% long leged birds and 25% chicks dead in shell. Reason being when a chick receives short legged gene from both parents it will not hatch. It will die before full term. Like I said you already know that Tim and this is for others benefit.
  • Use one long leg over short leg you lose lethal gene and get 50% short and 50% long.
  • That is one way to look at it for sure. But I imagine you are still getting same results as with this mating you are also getting only 50% of the eggs producing potential show birds. The other 50% would be considered culls. Goes it is just how you want to look at it. That reminds me of a funny story. Had an old man lived in the suburbs of New Orleans and had some. He claimed his were pure for short legs and didn't throw any with long legs. I didn't have the heart to tell him he was full of it.
  • edited May 2015
    Fun how do you get the bird with only one long leg?
  • All long leg ones are not culls, you pick for type and feather etc. My best breeder hen is long leg.
  • edited May 2015
    Good point Lonnie. Your right. Never looked at it that way. They do have use as breeders. I was thinking in terms of percentage of showbirds. A good long leg male can be useful as well in getting better fertility mated to a short legged female.
  • Fun how do you get the bird with only one long leg?
    That's a New Orleans secret
  • Lol, we don't have to go there.
  • Sounds like you have things turned around Tracy!
    JUST PULLED 19 BB REDS AND 15 WHEATEN CHICKS OUT OF THE BATOR HAD 12 EGGS THAT DIDN'T HATCH.I WILL TAKE THAT EVERY DAY.
    edited May 2015
    MIGHT HAVE TO SALE SOME BREEDERS TO MAKE ROOM.
  • edited May 2015
    That's about 74% hatch rate. Sounds really good for female line birds Tracy. I've got my last batch of female line BB Reds poping out as I write this and so far, it looks good. I hope to have as good as you have but only time will tell. Those female line birds are very different from the male line birds. Lower fertility and take longer to hatch. Do y'all have to assist any out of the shell? I've found that those I assist don't look or act any different from the regular hatchers after a couple of days so I'm inclined to help those that need a little assistance.
  • Barry I will help male line out too, and I can't see any difference.
  • I do the same thing too Shane. After two or three days, you can't tell the helped ones from the others. I do cull any that are deformed such as crippled feet. Fortunately, I have had very few like that.
  • I do the same thing , occasionally one or two will die in the brooder but the rest grow without knowing who was who

JUST PULLED 33 OUT OF 45 FERTILE EGGS ANOTHER GREAT HATCH GOING TO HAVE TO BUILD MORE PENS LOL.

• sounds like you got it going on ,Tracy. i took out 19 monday.  also took a couple of hens off ALL were pullets.