Improving Barred OEGB - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Improving Barred OEGB

I would like some input on what variety would be best to improve the barring of the Barrred Old English. The ones I have are inconsistant with the barring and have the V bar on the lesser sickles, saddle, wingbow and hackles. They have a straight barr as well in these areas, but the standard calls the V undesirable. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

Comments

• My only thought would be crele, other than that just breed a lot of them and try to improve it that way.
  • Breeding a lot of them is definately going to be necessary. I thought about using a good Crele or Silver Crele. I am still studing on what to look for in the male and female. I have found a lot of information on Barred Rocks but little on the old english. I have a long road a head of me and just want to try and get this program steered in the right direction. Thanks for the input.
  • There are not any Barreds that will be barred like a Rock. They feather out too fast. They are all Cuckoos. I have seen Tony Hussey's birds a lot. They are barred pretty well but still not like a Rock. Hogeback had a female in the top 5 at the Bash a couple years ago. Great type but she was a Cuckoo in color.
  • I know it would take many generation and have been told as many as 5 generation to improve the barred using a barred plymouth rock bantam. Barred Rock have a slow feather growth gene that is supposed to give the barring a crispier look. My question would be, if I insert the slow growth gene (if it is possible) would it cause the main sickle feathers to be shorter?
  • Use a Barred male over Black females.. works best all the offspring will be barred but may throw a few black the next year.
  • Carl are you meaning a barred rock? Or a OE barred? How many gen do you feel it would take to get oe type back if you go out to a barred rock.
  • edited August 2012
    Use a Barred OE over Black OE, all the offspring will be barred, take a F1 Cockrell back over the same hen (s) in one pen only save the barred chicks (this is the BC1B), in a second pen run a F1 x F1 keep only the Barred F2s. Take a BC1B cockrell over F2 Pullets and an F2 cockrell over BC1B Pullets and your off and running. This strengthens the black barring.
    If you outcross to a rock you will have willow legs, eye color, feather quality, type issues for at least 5 possibly more generations.

To stick with OE is your best bet, here are your options... You need to use birds with a silver hackle, saddle and wing bow / bay to clean up the barring in the lighter areas. This will give you your best results
    You can use Black some of the F1 males will likely show gold leakage in hackle, as most blacks have red hackles covered up.
    You can Use Birchen, all the offspring will be barred.
    Columbian all the offspring will be barred
    Silver duckwing all the offspring will be barred.
  • I think he is talking about a Black OE. Will crossing with a Black with help with type and darken the barring, but will it help with the pattern? I know very little about the genetics, but do know in Barred's the male has a double dip if you will of the barred gene and the female has only one. When you cross a Barred with a Black it reduces this gene by one in the male leaving him with only one gene for barring, but all males should come looking Barred. It takes two genes to get the even barring on the feather black white same size. That is why the hen is allways darker she has only one gene for the barring and her white bars should be smaller than the males. Like I said I am not the best at the gene thing, but I am sure there is someone here that can spit it out like nothing for us.
  • Good useful info, thanks
  • Thanks Carl, that really helps. Can I use Silver Crele the ones I have are real young but the cockerel already is showing good barring, seems like this would help. I also have a pair of Silver Duckwings I could use. What about White?
  • You are spot on. The F1 males are very nice and clean.. but often get a grey cast like in the lighter areas. A friend of ours raises barred and has fought this issue for years. Beleive it or not they are a tough variety to get right.
  • The silver Creale may be the best bet, white also works but all the color will be diluted since white is an "Off Switch" for pigment. The reality is all whites are actually something with color and pattern just turned off genetically.
  • I think I will try all three matings. Male Barred over Black hen, Male Barred over Silver Duckwing Hen and Male Silver Crele over Barred hens. I will then take the best from which ever breeding works and go from there. Thats what I needed was a plan, up til now all I had was Some OE Bantams doing there own thing. Thanks for the help.
  • Anytime..
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    I just looked at some barred old english that the guy bred a crele cock over a blue hen? I'm sure it was the luck of the draw but most of the offspring came barred.?
  • How good was the barring, was there any V Barring.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    How good was the barring, was there any V Barring.
    To be honest, I'm not up on barring as I do not raise them. I just thought it was pretty neet that he made that cross and there showed to be no crele in the off springs. Sorry?

• How many on here raise Barred, if you do and have some pictures of them post a few of them.
  • OH...THE BAR GENE!!! It's pretty simple...it's a sex linked gene...all you need is a Barred Male to make a barred chicken. Black would be best for improving the barring and you might work on getting them to come more consistant{GOOD LUCK}.
  • I was told this weekend by a Barred Rock breeder that it is impossible to get the Barring right on the Old English because feather growth is too fast on them. I will continue with them and show the best I can raise.