Your opportunity to be part of a project (Specifically Feed) - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Your opportunity to be part of a project (Specifically Feed)

cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
edited July 2012 in Somethin' to Crow About
Talked with Bill Trammell today about feeding show birds. He told me that several years ago Big V actually marketed a feed specific for show bantams. We discussed the possibility of Big V doing this again. Bill said he thought they could use a 22% crumble for a base and use soy bean oil as a supplement. Now is the part where you come in. What whole grains would you like to see added to the ration? Examples might be oat groats, white millet, sunflower seed hearts. Give your input and Bill will talk with their Nutritionist and see what is possible. It would be great to buy a conditioning feed right out of the bag that was specific for show bantams. Just remember that some of the more "exotic grains" are costly and the feed would be necessarily higher than the generic laying pellets some of you are using now. Get in here and give your input and see what Bill can come up with. Feeding a high quality show ration may not be for all of you, but those of you who buy grains and supplements may be excited to have a product like this available to you.

Comments

• cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    I am wondering about things like Red Cell and a conditioning pellet like Calf Manna.
  • Scott we offer a concentrate pellet that is called Supremo Super Charger and it is 32% protein. The Red Cell would probably be quite expensive to add to it. I know Carl likes to have a high content of some of the other essentials also.
    The Super Charger sounds great.
  • A SUPPLEMENTAL FEED DESIGNED TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE AND BALANCE RATIONS. A MEASURING CUP HOLDS APPROXIMATELY 8 OUNCES OF SUPREMO SUPER CHARGER.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
    Crude Protein, min......................................................... 32.00%
    Crude Fat, min................................................................ 5.00%
    Crude Fiber, max............................................................ 5.00%
    Calcium (Ca), min......................................................... 1.00%
    Calcium (Ca), max......................................................... 1.50%
    Phosphorus (P), min....................................................... 1.00%
    Ash, min........................................................................ 7.00%
    Biotin, min.......................................................... 168 MCG/LB.
    Pantothenic Acid, min.............................................. 10 MG/LB.
    Choline, min....................................................... 1,100 MG/LB.
    Riboflavin, min...................................................... 115 MG/LB.
    Lysine, min.................................................................... 1.50%
    Methionine, min............................................................ 0.25%
    Copper (Cu), min........................................................20.00 ppm
    Copper (Cu), max.......................................................30.00 ppm
    Zinc (Zn), min...........................................................150.00 ppm
    Selenium, min............................................................. 0.60 ppm
    Potassium (K), min............................................................1.00%
    Vitamin A, min................................................... 30,000 IU/LB.
    Vitamin D3, min.................................................... 4,000 IU/LB.
    Vitamin E, min.......................................................... 50 IU/LB.
    Vitamin B12, min..................................................1.00 MCG/LB

INGREDIENTS:
    Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Yellow Corn Meal, Monodicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Smectite Vermiculite, Soybean Oil, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Skim Milk, Iron Oxide, Yeast Culture, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Mineral Oil, Anise Flavoring, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Lactis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Streptococcus Cremoris Fermentation Product, Dried Streptococcus Diacetilactis Fermentation Product, Dried B-Subtillis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Brewers Yeast, Propylene Glycol, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenium, Folic Acid Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex and Ascorbic Acid.
  • POULTRY
    Feed SUPREMO SUPER CHARGER at a rate of 2 lbs. per 100 birds.
    Larger Birds - Turkeys, Ostriches, Emus, etc., feed SUPREMO SUPER CHARGER at a rate of 10% of total ration.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    OK SEND ME 1 TON FREE TO TRY.LOL.
  • remember that some of the more "exotic grains" are costly and the feed would be necessarily higher than the generic laying pellets
    edited July 2012
    You may not like whats in it. What would you like to see Tracy?
  • Something else Scott the Super Charger is a small pellet, not a crumbled feed.
  • Id like to be able to get a feed like that in my areao
  • I will try and get a photo tomorrow of what i am using. Both of the feed and the label. It is a mix of grains,seeds, peas and pellets from Lonestar Feeds. It even has popcorn seeds in it. When you open the bag the first smell that hits you is the smell of calf manna. I think it is a16 % protein and by feeding this one day and my 22% gamebird breeder pellet the next day they get an average of 19% protein diet which I consider to be plenty. Lonestar used to market it under the name Rambo Rooster but wanted to get away from the cockfighting image and changed the bag and the name. It is now called poultry conditioner 1274. It is really a good lookin feed mix. Twice a week I will put some in a bucket and pour on and mix the redcell in it, take that and go around to birds I want to give special attention to and feed this to them. I have one person on here that I shared this with and he could not get it but he took the label and had someone mix it for him. He said when he showed he heard one judge say to the other that his birds were the best feeling birds in the show. Don't know if you can get much better then that. Hooray for Texas and Lonestar feeds. LOL
  • Mana is now manufacturing a poultry conditioner, I have not tried it but would assume it is a good feed.
    I believe a real key to the 22% base would need to be a fair amount of fish meal, as that will add much of the needed oils without the additional weight. Adding wheat germ or soybean oil for additional fat content in measured doses would still be good for the bird but keep feed cost to actual volume versus weight better for those raising them. I like to add my oils rather than pay for the weight with much less volume, but still demand a very good quality fed.
    As with Wayne I absolutely agree some grain is needed to keep feathers harder and tighter with less fluff.
    Another item that does help is Molasses adds energy and vitamins to keep them moving, using that as a binder for pelleted feed is always good.

There are my thoughts.
  • There is an online exhibition poultry publication (I will add a link if admin is OK with it)
    and the owner of the publication wrote an article about the excellent properties of feeding peas. A very interesting read.
    I'm sure that it would be okay Karla.
  • THe feed I am talking about does have some molasses in it. IT is a $20 bill and some nickles for a 50lb bag. Quite reasonable to me as grains digest slower then pellets or mash and feed consumption may be less.
  • I would prefer a pellet, and for me a feed needs two primary things, Fish Meal, as well as Porcine or pork meal, limited soybean meal, and limited alfalfa. I would like to see a split pea of some type and small split kernel corn and whole wheat or rice, some mollases
    The Lysine content should be around 1.5-1.6, this is the amino acid that helps build muscle.
    Fat content should be higher for a conditioner feed and calcium could be between 1.5 and 3%

I will expand more later as I have to leave for work now. Have a great day all.

• Id like to be able to get a feed like that in my areao
    Where are you located Handy? I am in McAlester, Ok.
    Bill

• Scott, don't forget to go by $ saver and get your feed.
    Bill
  • The publication is Exhibition Poultry and the pea info was in the
    Gonna go get the feed today, thanks Bill.