Breeding - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Breeding

I was watching my blacks and when the rooster goes to breed the hen, the hen will fight the rooster! Ive never really got any fertile. Eggs from her! So what should I do?

Comments

• Can anyone help??
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    SOME TIMES YOU HAVE A FEMALE THAT WILL FIGHT ANYTHING YOU PUT IN THE PIN,I WOULD SAY IF THE MALE YOU ARE USING IS NOT FERTILING THE EGGS OR TOPING THE HEN. I WOULD CHANGE YOUR MALE OUT.
  • If you have a hen that fights all the males, then you might as well get rid of her. Sometimes just switching out different males will work. A hen might prefer one male over another.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    THATS WHAT MY WOMEN SAY.LOL
  • I had that problem with 2 females I got from Dewayne Ballard so I put the meanest cock bird I had with them. After he gave them a good whipping they got in the right frame of mind.
    Bill
  • I put the fiesty pullets in a cockrell pen for a week or two they will always cooperate with a lone cock bird after that. Seldom come out with feathers on thier neck or back of the head but man will they sit still, sometimes just squat when the cock walks next to them.
  • Well its that sherrif line hen that you gave me! Prettiest bird ever! Just need them to breed!
  • Problem fixed. Now do I just need to get some egg laying ration?
  • There are several good lating rations available in shawnee, I buy from S&S and use the US Suppliers and thier own blend as well. Both are very good layer / breeder rations.
  • What kind do you prefer? I'm going to get some tomorrow
  • I prefer the US suppliers that they have. We have been using it for a long time and the birds stay in very good condition as well as getting very good hatch rates.
  • That what I bought!
  • Is there any differents in biddies hatch early in the year to the ones hatched late in the year. I have lost all mine to the dog and sickness. So I want to start back hatching. But want to know if there is any different to early to late hatch.
  • Years ago I changed feed in January everything I had started breeding went into a moult did'nt get any eggs till late April set through may the best birds I ever raised they were a little smaller than the early hatch birds but they were just as good.
  • Is there any differents in biddies hatch early in the year to the ones hatched late in the year. I have lost all mine to the dog and sickness. So I want to start back hatching. But want to know if there is any different to early to late hatch.
    The early hatches are often a bit bigger than the later hatches. I always throw out the first clutch of eggs from a hen for the year and set the second clutch on. The only other thing to watch is the heat and humidity when rearing the young birds. Bringing them up in the dry heat of summer can be real tough and you will likely see more white stress marks in feathers and likely end up with a slightly smaller tighter feathered bird due to eating a bit less. You will also want to dip them weekly to keep moisture in the feather.

Tim,
    I went through that last year had to change feeds and tried several before settling on one. It cost me greatly in the breeder pens and molts but I am having a better year now. Just one of the joys of the hobby is dealing with a bad year.