Black Old English - Page 109 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Black Old English

Comments

• Thank you.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    COOPER THAT BLACK MALE IS A REAL BIRD GREAT TAIL NICE AND WIDE NOT OVER SHOWING GOOD EYE COLOR GREAT BOW LESSERS AND SADDLE. THE LAST YR OR TWO I HAVEN'T SEEN A BLACK MALE I WOULD TAKE HOME. BUT I WOULD HIM.
  • lotslesslotsless Albany Oregon
    Good ones James...I like that yours show good as cocks...Just like you silver duckwings did...
  • Black Cock #43
    002.JPG
    4288 x 3216 - 2M
    003.JPG
    4288 x 3216 - 2M
  • Very Nice Mr. Cooper!
  • Any thoughts on this pullet??
    11692763_10204749811287619_6032731538953249767_n.jpg
    958 x 960 - 152K
  • Thanks Bill.
  • Preacher ,The pullet has nice type.Good wing carriage & about right on the tail spread. Her comb is a little large & lobes appear to be a little light.Both probably from laying. The only concern I would have is the purple sheen that appears to be showing in her wing bows.
  • The purple sheen is the first think that popped out to me. The Peacocks you have Mr. Cooper are the best green sheened Blacks I have ever witnessed.
    Bill
  • Ok. Thanks. I will watch out for that. Is there any certain thing that causes the purple?
  • I think that it is from the breeding.A lot of blue bred Blacks or Blacks from Blues carry it. Purple barring is usually caused from stress But Purple sheen I have found out is from the breeding.Be sure to use a male that has plenty of good green sheen.
  • Well I have some Blue Blacks in my flock now - but that's not where this pullet is from. But I'm glad you mentioned that so I can be more aware of it in the future. Thanks again
  • You are welcome.
    another nice black james......I had a really nice birchen cockeral that had purple sheen..and i have heard people have different opinions about this..Is it ok to breed from a otherwise nice bird if it has purple sheen? . will this carry over into all the offsprings?...or should the birds or bird that have it just be culled? What do you say James...???

• Good question. I'm wondering that too
  • I would try him . Put him over a good green sheen female & also to a dull no sheen female. I have seen 2 flocks of good Blacks go to pot by breeding too much sheen. A good friend of mine had some of the greenest blacks that I have ever seen .He kept breeding Green to Green for years .One yr the Green all turned to purple. So I think you can breed too much green sheen.I have seen Sumatras with a solid purple sheen. I think you need the dull color to turn it back to green. Better not to breed it,but if it's an excellent bird every other way .Go for it.
  • Hen with pretty good feather quality.
    20150315_173728.jpg
    4128 x 2322 - 3M
  • NIce small comb for a hen also.
    Thanks for the info and advice..James..