Wolf in Sheep's clothing - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Wolf in Sheep's clothing

scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
edited June 2012 in Somethin' to Crow About
It is with mixed emotions that I write this. With all the real problems in the world that I know you and I alike have to face every day. But, I also felt that I could pass this information along and maybe help someone out on down the road. Mind you all that I did learn a valuable lesson through this ordeal.

About the last week in April I received a phone call from a gentleman and he stated that he would like a trio of birds. I had ran an ad previously on this website 'Birds For Sale'. No problem. We agreed on the price and the arrangements alike. Then the gentleman sent me priority mail a money order for the original price of the trio of birds and this did include shipping. After I received the m/o the gentleman emailed me and said that he would like an extra hen? I laughed and emailed him back and said "I would prefer that you look this trio over and if you still wanted a couple of extra pullets we would be able to arrange that."

The next day I received another email from the person-of-interest explaining to me that he was serious about another pullet. I thought to myself that it would certainly be cheaper for him if I would go ahead and send an extra pullet with the original order so I contacted Mr. ####### and asked if he could send me a check of $35 for the extra hen and shipping and I would go ahead and load her up and send her to him with the original birds. He agreed! The shipping for that quad was $56. Two days later the birds arrived at their new home and all seemed well. I had visited with Mr. ###### and he seemed well pleased with his new birds. He let me know quick that he was planning on raising as many birds as possible and he was also looking forward to actually showing a couple of the pullets that I had sent him as hens this next fall. Everything seemed perfect except for the $35 m/o?

Time passed and soon it was 10 days later and still no check. I contacted the gentleman and asked him to check with the post office and see what they recommended because he told me that he had sent another money order and retained the receipt. He told me that he was on it "like a hand in a glove." I was also informed that he had stopped payment on the original $35 m/o and sent me a new one. Mr. ###### made no claims of being dis-satisfied with any of the birds that I had sent so Everything is fine now. "I thought?"

Time went by again and before long another week had passed by and no m/o has shown up? I am starting to understand what is going on now. "I may be a little slow in this department" LoL but I always try to see the best in people. Still not sure and wanting to give Mr. ###### the benefit of a doubt, I try to email him and this time I get no response? I wait around a week and I'm starting to really get the picture now! So I still have his phone number and I give him a call. And as I figured "Deep in my soul" no one answered my calls. So I figured $35 bucks was not worth tarnishing a man's name. I am still puzzled by what transpired? But, I figured it was a great life lesson that only cost me $35 bucks and a darn nice pullet. So with that being said, my final thoughts on this subject..."a bird in the hand is worth....." Thank you Mr.(you know who you are) I will never forget you. "Good Luck with those birds."

Comments

• This is why I always like to send someone the complete amount of money before they ship anything to me. I have had these kind of happenings with dealings here and there and just do not expect anyone to trust what I may ofr may not do. The nice part about the whole thing is that you have a good attitude about it.
  • sometimes it is well worth the loss to know not to deal with that person anymore.

that and they dont call and bother you anymore either!
  • This is why I insist on money orders and don't take personal checks. Unless I know the person really well I will ship the birds the Monday after receiving full payment and not before. Heard the story that the check is in the mail too many times. We who communicate to each other on here have built up a good relationship and some trust but in reality do we really know each other. Some I do, but others are just names on the post but untill they prove they cannot be trusted I will respect them and hopefully they respect me and what I stand for. Here is something you young people can think about and what this old man lives by. The way I see it just about anything I have can be taken away. Heck the government can come take your house if it wants it. The one thing noone can ever take away from you is your good name and self respect. You can only lose this by your actions on your part. You younguns remember that.
  • You have got it right Wayne! It is the only way to go.
  • Ive bought alot of birds from several breeders from all over the place..... I always put the trust on the seller..... If theres a Walmart the money is there in 5 min.. ...... No qwestions asked .....But when are the birds comming ...... For the worry and the time and as far as that goies the money its worth it ...... everyone has a Walmart... There birds can get there a hole lot faster and the money is in the bank.......
  • Great idea!
  • When I order somthing I want it as soon as I can get THe sooner a man get his money..... The sooner they get there birds ITs a done deal ...... As a buyer you got to trust the seller enyway ..... Hoping you gettin some good birds so you got to have faith...... Shame on him if there not what he says....... But that a new topic LOL
  • I personally don't like to ship birds to a buyer site unseen. I try to get my wife to take pic's of them to send the buyer first before any money changes hands. I will also tell him the whole truth about the birds including any defects or other things that he might need to know. If the buyer pays me for them, I ship to him and give him one more option. If he gets the birds and decides that they are not what he wants, then he can hold them for a day or two and ship them back to me. I will refund all his money minus the cost of shipping. A man's reputation is worth much more than any bird and once its lost its takes a long time to get it back.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    edited February 2016
    THERE WAS A GUY WILL NOT SAY HIS NAME AND NEVER LOST ANYTHING TO HIM.BUT HE WOULD CALL ASK FOR A TRIO SEND YOU THE MONEY YOU WOULD SHIP THEM THEN HE WOULD CALL BACK.AND ASK FOR 2 MORE PRS. OR TRIOS AND ASK YOU TO JUST SEND THEM,YOU WOULD ASK WHAT ABOUT THE MONEY HE WOULD TELL THEM I SENT YOU THE MONEY ON THE LAST TRIO IM GOOD FOR IT.AND MOST PEOPLE WOULD NEVER GET THE MONEY.ALSO THIS GUY IS WELL KNOWN FOR STEALING BIRDS AT SHOWS.IM SURE SOME OF OUR MEMBERS HAVE BEEN TOOK BY HIM,A REAL WORM THAT IS WHAT HE IS.
  • Sounds like it Tracy ........ theres a old man here that will forget where he put his birds at the show and I was told his done that a few times ....... People now have started helpin him get them up...... But he didnt no any better..... Zipties after judging LoL
  • THERE WAS A GUY WILL NOT SAY HIS NAME AND NEVER LOST ANYTHING TO HIM.BUT HE WOULD CALL ASK FOR A TRIO SEND YOU THE MONEY YOU WOULD SHIP THEM THEN HE WOULD CALL BACK.AND ASK FOR 2 MORE PRS. OR TRIOS AND ASK YOU TO JUST SEND THEM,YOU WOULD ASK WHAT ABOUT THE MONEY HE WOULD TELL THEM I SENT YOU THE MONEY ON THE LAST TRIO IM GOOD FOR IT.AND MOST PEOPLE WOULD NEVER GET THE MONEY.ALSO THIS GUY IS WELL KNOWN FOR STEALING BIRDS AT SHOWS.IM SURE SOME OF OUR MEMBERS HAVE BEEN TOOK BY HIM,I REAL WORM THAT IS WHAT HE IS.
    Man, you are on to me! I thought I had you fooled!
    I won't be trying you again.
    Bill
  • I could never see trading my name and reputation for a chicken or 2. Some folks think different I guess. For a Chicken a man would sell his soul to the devil????? Hard to follow.
  • Ralph Sheriff had about twenty or more young Blacks stolen from his place one time. The crooks climbed over his fence at night and took them. I don't think he ever found out who that crook was.
  • I had a neighbor kid steal some of my birds a few years back and when I went looking for them he had them in his front yard with a for sale sign with my bands still on them and everything so I took them back and had a talk with him and his dad and the sheriff.
  • One lesson I have learned in my Christian life. Be quick to forgive. The enemy comes in to steal, kill and destroy in John 10:10. If it is bad it is the enemy. I had a person pick a goat up and gave me $150 out of the $250. Seemed nice enough. Never saw the remaining $100. My thoughts. Speak a blessing over them until the enemy stops bringing the person back up again. Guess what. You will soon stop thinking about the person any longer. We need to be wise in our dealings. I still give some people the benefit of the doubt after talking with them. You can see a persons heart fairly quickly by asking the right questions. I hate being taken advantage of and having someone take advantage of another person.
  • barry i know the story on jrs birds , it actually happened twice , i talked with him the first time , he found out and where they went , but i cant post it on here
  • i remember a saying , i had a friend i loaned him ten , i havent seen my friend since then , another friend i loaded him five i doubt that he is still alive , dont remember the rest
  • This is my opinion , We as a group have built a trust amongst each other on here. After you have exhausted every means necessary to collect your money to no avail,then why protect that persons identity. If they burnt you then Burn them and keep others from being taken advantage of. Make them be responsible for there actions. I can remember a few years back when checks where all we had other than cash. A local store would hang your BAD check on the wall behind the counter with a sign stating that this person writes bad checks lol. The wall of shame.
  • You are 100% correct randal
  • You had better watch your back no matter who or where you are dealing with. I have been burnt And lied too With promises to make things right and nothing ever got dune. These people are counting on you not to be able to follow up. And in my case I just was not financially able to. so it all boils down to if you buy something you are at the mercy of the seller.Just don't be stupid and do it agin.
    Bill