Keeping different lines - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Keeping different lines

I know a lot of you have atleast a couple different lines of birds if not more. Why should you keep more than one line going when one of those lines are usually your best. I myself have two different lines going in the gingers but one produces more of what I want but I'm a little hesitant to part with the other line. Just wanted to get thoughts on this. Thanks.

Comments

• scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    edited June 2012
    this is probably a good subject that I have no bussiness commenting on. I know that right now I have way to many verieties. I'm thinking at the end of this next season after I have shown a few, I will make some decissions on which birds stay and which birds go. Hopefully I can cut down to maybe 2 or 3 verieties.
  • How many lines do you have within those varieties?
  • I have 2 lines going in the blacks.. sheriff and Barnes.
  • this is probably a good subject that I have no bussiness commenting on. I know that right now I have way to many verieties. I'm thinking at the end of this next season after I have shown a few, I will make some decissions on which birds stay and which birds go. Hopefully I can cut down to maybe 2 or 3 verieties.
    Awww, we all say that every year don't we?

• Those coons get through with you there may be a need to fire the incubator back up.
    I have plenty of eggs if you need some, however nothing like the quality you have there.(just funnin, even though it is no fun when they get your birds.)
  • Starting with a few lines of a variety is really the best route, breed from each line straight for at least the first year. You will learn the traits of each can be a bit different from another line within the variety, each line has something to offer you like oherwise you would not have aquired them.
    I like to start with three distinct lines when working with a variety then either eliminate one or two based on breeding and raising results or begin to blend them slowly to get where I really want to be. When you are done you may be down to one or maybe two within a variety.
    The breeding is what I truly enjoy in this hobby, just remember to raise what you like to your taste, there are so many interpretations of what is right and if you like it some others will too, but most important of all make yourself happy with what you have.
    My only real thought on the "line" is simple if you purchase birds from the line originator as they would breed themselves or purchased a breeder pen as it was set then it is still that line however if you simply purchase the birds and breed from them that is two different scenarios. The first continues that line the second only offers some of teh heritage of that line and with breeder selection and culling practice the line begins to deviate but may still carry some of the characteristics of the originator.
  • edited June 2012
    I really like this Carl I just didn't know how to say it! Me too!
    Bill
  • I have three lines of BB Reds.... Barnes, Riggs, and Sheriff. I'm crossing a few to improve some of them. If the crosses don't pan out, I'll cull them.
  • I have reduced my lines of BB Reds down to two...Sheriff and Inman & Duckett.