different colored blacks. - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

different colored blacks.

Has anyone noticed theirs two Colors of blacks? Ive noticed this between my blacks. My sherrif line hen is a dull black, and my Barnes hen is a jet black. And my rooster is a Barnes bird. Will that have any effect on the offspring?

Comments

• I have been looking for different colored blacks lol! Just having fun, don't know about that one.
  • you can breed a dull black hen to a male with a lot of green sheen and some of her offspring should have the green sheen and not the dull black color.
    If you have access to a nice male that has a hint of red in the hackle, that will also add green sheen to the chicks as the green sheen and red in the hackle are linked together.
  • I know of two colors of blacks,jet black with green sheen, and culls. But cliftonranch obviously knows more than I. I would go with him.
  • edited January 2015
    brian , i dont think there are different colors of black but different shades , pappy sheriff said in one of his articles to always pick birds wih brilliant color , never pick birds that have brown color under the wings ,theres one thing that i have found in my birds , some call it a fault , and cull birds with it , but ive found sometimes what some call faults are actually advantages if you know what to do with it. one peoblem i see is most have too many colors ,or they're constantly changing colors , and never learn anythng bout the birds they have . ive been breeding one color for years and im still learning
  • nboonnboon Princeton Texas
    I know of two colors of blacks,jet black with green sheen, and culls. But cliftonranch obviously knows more than I. I would go with him.
    Not him, her