Morning coffee topics - Page 7 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Morning coffee topics

Comments

• I have given a lot of thought to it and it seems I always get to the same point, I really don't want to part with that one.lol
    I have about made my mind up to get down to no more than 5 varieties.
    I am trying to tell myself that only 1 and possibly 2 bloodlines of these are more than enough.
    I just have too much difficulty in deciding what I want and what I want to do so I guess the answer is to be overloaded or get completely away from a chicken. I still say thisis chickenoholism! I have dealt with several addictions with other people and this is the way they have all acted, either all the way or nothing!
    I have tried all kinds of process of elimination but stillyet notheing changes.
    Thanks for the input Wayne.
    They like everything they see and want it all. That is me you are pegging there.
    Maybe I should get interested in the showing!
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    BILL, WHAT ALL COLORS DO YOU HAVE,LIKE WAYNE SAYS IT IS EASY TO GET OVERLOADED WITH BIRDS.EVERY BREEDER HAS A WEEKNESS ON RAISING THERE BIRDS BY RAISING TO MANY. I HATE TO SHUT DOWN ON EACH HATCH SEASON BUT FEED AND SPACE COMES IN TO PLAY.I HAVE 3 COLORS COULD GO TO 2 WITH BBRED AND WHEATON.BUT I REALLY LIKE OTHER COLORS BUT LIKE I SAID BEFORE I WANT THIS AS A HOBBY NOT A JOB.SO BILL MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY,PICK OUT WHAT BILL WANTS GOOD LUCK.
  • I have Wheaton, 2 lines, Whites 5 lines, BB 5 lines really 6, Pyles 1 line, SDW 1 line, Black, 4 lines, Opals 1 line. I have all these yet I would buy another trio of something else today if it suited my fancy. Chickenoholic I'm tellin you!

Seriously I think by fall I will have made up my mind and get on to the real deal.
    Bill
  • edited June 2012
    You know Tracy, if I could get Randy to let me trade him out of some of your birds it might not be so hard to make my mind up! That may be the key to this is get some of your quality birds then I would throw rocks at mine.
    Bill
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    Mine is a very small operation. I learned all of the pitfalls of having and raising too many years ago when I had game chickens. I decided when I began raising Old English to limit myself to one variety. I wanted to have good pens to raise them and I wanted to limit myself to a certain number of birds to take care. I want to enjoy my birds and not become a slave where their care is involved. If it is not fun then you won't enjoy it. The numbers and varieties will vary greatly from one individual to another as to what they want to keep. I would say your goal should be to keep the varieties you enjoy the most and as far as numbers, how hard do you want to work? Most folks don't know when to shut the incubator down, that seems to be the problem for most of us. These are just my thoughts and opinions and they don't count for much as I have been told I think I know more than anyone else.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Bill when you find that CAA (Chicken-Aholics-Anonymous) let me know because I need to join also!LOL....Too many varieties here......Either way Bill its going to be ok...
  • Mine is a very small operation. I learned all of the pitfalls of having and raising too many years ago when I had game chickens. I decided when I began raising Old English to limit myself to one variety. I wanted to have good pens to raise them and I wanted to limit myself to a certain number of birds to take care. I want to enjoy my birds and not become a slave where their care is involved. If it is not fun then you won't enjoy it. The numbers and varieties will vary greatly from one individual to another as to what they want to keep. I would say your goal should be to keep the varieties you enjoy the most and as far as numbers, how hard do you want to work? Most folks don't know when to shut the incubator down, that seems to be the problem for most of us. These are just my thoughts and opinions and they don't count for much as I have been told I think I know more than anyone else.
    Scott you are absolutely right! The big problem I have is just getting back in I couldn't make up my mind so I went overboard. I will get the ones I really like that are healthy and do well and that will be my lines I keep. I can already see that one of my favorites, the Whites are for the most part going. They are the most feeble and inconsistent variety I have. The BB and the Wheaton are my favorites as they are healthier and more robust from chicks to grown including the hatching and and laying.
    If I just kept the BB's I would have too many. I may not be able to cut them loose though as I really d olike them and there is a guy on here that has taught me a lot about breeding them.
    The Blacks are probably the most difficult to cut loose. Balck Old english in the sun are super beautiful with that green sheen shining.
    I know this sounds rediculous but I sure am enjoying a whole yard full of cockerels milling around the place. I know I am going to have to sacrifice but it is fun now.
    The Pyles are nice and I love the color of them. I really believe we do need a chickenohlism support group going, would you consider being the counselor?
  • Bill when you find that CAA (Chicken-Aholics-Anonymous) let me know because I need to join also!LOL....Too many varieties here......Either way Bill its going to be ok...
    Yeh! It will be ok and it sure is fun except for the feed bill!
  • This year I had 9 different matings of male line BB's, 3 different matings of female line BB's, 8 different matings of Columbian and 6 different matings of Opals. Besides that 3 different pair matings of Columbian Wyandotte bantams. It can get out of hand and I am still considering starting a Birchen project. Don't know why we do it but like you said it is an addiction. I have made up my mind that next year I won't have as many different matings. Shouldn't need them if things come together this year like I think theOpals and Columbians are going to turn out. Maybe keep 6 females of each variety and two or three males. Won't need to hatch as many next year to see the results because I feel pretty good with what I will be using as breeders. Female line BB's and Wyandottes don't need to start hatching until late April to peek out for fall and winter shows and that is if I show anything at all. I would not mind at all just raising some good ones and sharing them with someone who enjoys showing. Let them show them and I just go to a few shows to just sociallize with the good people there. Bill, just do what makes you happy because this should be a hobby, not a job.
    GOT IN THIS AFTERNOON AND DID MY YARD WORK THEN MOVED THE OLDEST CHICKS INTO NEW PENS THEN ROTATED 4 OR 5 MORE PENS AROUND.GOING TO HIT THE HAY AND WILL BE READY FOR A CUP IN THE MORNING.
    I'm looking forward to my cup also. Moving some cockerels around and fixin up some pens in the morning. Now after that I plan on takin the Mrs. to town. Well I think she might have told me I was taken her to town!
  • Coffee is good this morning and so was the bacon and fresh eggs! I think it is wonderful that I have chickens running out my ears, as that was really my plan to get some numbers and pick me some good breeders and cull the rest. Wayne, don't look like I am in a lot worse situation than you are as you have a lot of birds yourself. You know another thing is, I will have some birds to share if there is anyone interested in what I have. I may not have the correct colors in the BB's to show but the Whites and Blacks are the right color and the type and confirmation will be up to whoever is looking I guess.
    If I don't have a few good ones it is not my fault it is the fault of the breeders I got them from! lol
    Anyway I am making progress and I really do have this chickenohlic problem. I am taking the advice of several though, I AM ENJOYING THIS SOOO MUCH! I am also enjoying all the friends I have made from this site! Thank you all for coaching this old chickenoholic!
    Bill
  • Chicken-Aholics-Anonymous
    SEARCHING FOR THOSE IN NEED OF HELP!
    CONTACT SCOTT(COCKOFTHEWALK) TO ENROLL IN THIS EXCITING NEW, BENEFICIAL ASSOCIATION FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT CONTAIN THEIR BUYING AND RAISING OF POULTRY!
  • Those who would trade their or someone elses chickens for hamburger need not to apply!
  • This site has sure been quiet since you guys went to that meeting! Did someone threaten y'all if you posted? Because if they did I am going to back out and not post anything either.LOL
    I would sure be interested in some good news from some direction.
    edited June 2012
    Bill, all I can say is there were a couple of older gentelmen down there and they told Scott and I, "Go North Young Man, Go North!"Lol....
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    I don't know Scratch but it might be possible one of them Okies passed gas during the meal.
    TALKED TO RANDY ABOUT THE RED RIVER CLUB IT IS HARD TO GET ANYTHING DONE FROM THE OLDER GROUP.AS CLOSE AS YOU GUYS ARE IT SEEMS THEY WOULD BE ALL OVER IT.I WOULD SAY THAT A 500 TO 600 BIRD SHOW WOULD OF BEEN 650 TO 900 OR MORE.
  • It sure is a nice morning here in McAlester, Ok. this morning. Coffee is great, breakfast was good and I have a job to go to so I can afford to have chickens to enjoy when I get back to the house. Weather is nice here and I am looking forward to a nice weekend looking over the flock to see some of who gets to stay and who has to leave.
    I've got 15 more babies from the Wheaton's Jburk sold me and so I will have a nice set to choose from with them and what I incubated included.
    It is a shame that I don't know what I am doing as a breeder or I might give you guys showing a run for your money! lol
    It is still nice to show them to me.
  • Looks like a lot of interest in the morning coffee topics!
    It seems like I can't type a word in edgewise it is sooo busy!
    Well again this morning coffee is great and I am thankful for the opportunity to report to all just how good it is.
    I sure hope y'all are just mad or something for the reason no one is posting, I would hate to think everyone is so busy there is not enough time to sit and have a cup of nice hot coffee and type a few words of wisdom, as you can see there is not much of that coming from this direction! LOL