worming - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

worming

Whats the correct time to worm Chicks?

Comments

• I like to start around 6 weeks of age or two weeks after they hit the ground. For the chicks I like to use wazine only... you can add ivermectin or other wormers as they get older.
  • Carl, how should you use Ivermectin?
  • I like it in two forms, one is a topical placed on the back of the neck about 1/2 cc per bird the other is injectable about 2/10 of a cc in left breast I use both ( these are cattle parasite control products ) rotated with dips in permethrin or malathion and water.
  • Thanks Carl, do you think that worming with Piperazine will be acceptable?
  • Absolutely, so long as you are trying to treat round worms only.
  • edited October 2012
    Is their an indicator that shows in your birds if they are infected with round worms, or is the worming process a prevenative measure?
  • I personally have never seen round worms in my birds but I do worm twice a year as a preventive measure. I would certainly worm immediately if I saw round worms that had been passed by the birds.
  • Is their an indicator that shows in your birds if they are infected with round worms, or is the worming process a prevenative measure?
    For most it is a preventative, for a detailed description of symtoms of various parasites I would suggest you read the article Wayne and I prepared it is posted in the top of the discusions by admin.
  • I found that roundworms are the most commen suspects but how often do you find other worm species??
  • Has anyone used mediworm tablets for pigeons??
  • If anyone is unsure if your birds have intestinal parasites you can always take stool sameple to your local veterinary and have them do a fecal, takes the guessing out.
  • That's great advice Del. The very best way to find out if you have worms in your birds is through a fecal sample.
  • all you have to do is look at the poop your self , you can see the worms , ive forgotten but i believe theres about 50 specifies that inhibit poultry , if your birds are on the ground , you can be assured you have worms , ascroids [round worms ] are the most common , around here if you take a bird to the vet , you will pay app 100.00 , most vets dont know anything about chickens , as they get very few , their bread and butter is dogs and cats one of our local vets here used to call me doc , i would get supplies from him , i called him doc , raven
  • Hey guys this might sound crazzy but i got a mexican home remeady for birds with worms....lol it really works good my father showed me this he give his birds a little peace of bread with milk it cleans up there digestive system.. ive done it in the past and i never had a death do to worms
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    I try to worm at the first of the month every month. This works for me. I do change up on how I worm, in other words I do not worm with the same thing everytime. I believe it is possible for the worms to build up an immunity to the wormer. I have used SafeGaurd, Ivermec, Piperzine, and Wazine. Mike Stricker, I think said to dig up poke salad roots and soak them in the chickens water? I have never tried this but I bet it would probably work.
  • What's poke salad?

• I would also like to see a picture of poke salad.

• Google it and go to wickepedia and there is a picture there. It grows wild in Okla.
  • Here it is!
    220px-Phytolacca_acinosa.jpg
    220 x 146 - 15K
  • Thank you Bill, your right it was at our finger tips. :-B