Medications, How to mix them and their success. - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Medications, How to mix them and their success.

edited May 2012 in Product Reviews
I use a product called Tylason Soluble and have had very good success with it and was wondering if others have tried it?
The biggest problem I have is it calls to mix the whole bottle 100 grams in one gallon of water and then mix that gallon at the rate of.
I would like for someone intelligent in figures to tell me how to mix this correctly for 1 gallon of water from the powder so it will be available for use when I need smaller amounts. The cost is about 50.00 for this 100 gram jar and I don't like the idea of wasting what I don't use. I am sure that there is some one with the intelligence level to help me.
Thank you, Bill.

Comments

• Bill,
    Give me the full instructions I will break it down, do you want it by the gram, or some other unit of measure? I can convert it for you fairly easily.
  • The instructions say to mix the 100 grams in one gallon of water and this mixture to 50 gallons of water for the drinking water.
    I would like to know how much to put in one gallon of drinking water so i can mix small amounts for like 1 cage where needed. that bottle of 100 grams cost 50 dollars+ and I want to conserve it. I am 64 years young and do not do math in those measurements and would like to know how much by partial teaspoons.
    Bill
  • No Problem give me a little bit I will re-post with the mixture..
  • 1/2 Teaspoon per gallon. Works out the same.. Here is how this works..

You get 51 gallons for 100 grams of Medication.
    This is 1.9 grams per gallon. Divide 1.9 by 4 and that gives you .49XXXX Teaspoons per gallon. So 1/2 Teaspoon per gallon.
  • I just knew there would be someone to help me with this. Thank you Carl and as always you are an abundance amount of help. I sure wish I wasn't one of those who thought I wouldn't live long enough to put an effort in studying the metric system. I really feel like a dummy but I am certainly glad for folks like yourself and all who will take the time to help us dummies.
    Thanks again! Bill
  • This isn't an emergency, just a helpful tidbit of information to help. Despite what you may have heard, there IS a cure for Marek's Disease. It is a homeopathic remedy called "Hypericum." Hypericum is a small creeping herb that, when used hollistically, numbs nerves and dulls pain. When given to a bird suffering from the symptoms of Marek's Disease, it will cure the bird by working on the theory that "like cures like," in other words, by giving the bird the symptoms it will take the symptoms away. I've used this herb with great success to fully cure birds of Marek's Disease. You can fnd Hypericum at health food stores, $8 for 100 tablets. Hypericum must be diluted before it can be used:

- 1 tablespoon of DISTILLED water per tablet Hypericum (must be distilled water, tap water is ionized and will deactivate the Hypericum)
    - MUST be mixed in a GLASS or PLASTIC bowl (metal with react with the water and herb)
    - drip 5-10 drops (bantam) or 10-15 drops (large fowl) on the afflicted bird's tongue. Be sure the bird rubs its beak together because the Hypericum MUST touch the sinuses (located on the roof of the mouth) in order to work
    - treat every 12 hours (morning and night) with a fresh batch
    - recovery may be as quick as 1 day or as slow as several months

The treatment works best if you begin treating early. If you delay treatment, the Hypericum may not work or it may be a very slow recovery. IF YOU OVERDOSE YOUR BIRDS ON HYPERICUM, don't worry. The bird will exhibit extreme symptoms, and make a drastic improvment within a 24 hours. Hypericum is also helpful for pain. Only treat birds that are showing symptoms.

HOW CAN I TELL IF MY BIRD HAS MAREK'S DISEASE?

Check your flock history. Marek's Disease affects birds as early as 6 months of age. Symtoms occur most commonly between 6-8 months of age; however, any age bird can become sick, it just becomes less common with age. The incubation period is 2 weeks.

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE: sudden death (fairly common), depression (common), gradual weight loss (fairly common), neck paralysis (not common), paleness (in conjunction with other symtoms), wing paralysis (common), leg paralysis (most common), star-gazing (fairly common), extreme sudden emaciation (rare), mishapen pupil (not common), gray iris (not common), crazy behavior (rare), unresponsive (common), internal tumor growth (not common), tumors on feather follicles (not common), fearful (not common)
    I found this surfing and thought it was interesting! At one time or another we will all combat this mess.
    Bill
  • hypericum comes in 2 doses, 6 and 30 which one is best??
    I use the 30. It doesn't really matter though, all it takes is a single drop. But I think the 30 is more likely to find its mark cause it has a higher concentration.
  • edited July 2012
    hypericum comes in 2 doses, 6 and 30 which one is best??
    I use the 30. It doesn't really matter though, all it takes is a single drop. But I think the 30 is more likely to find its mark cause it has a higher concentration.
  • Marek's Disease is found in the soil, so if one bird has it it's safe to assume that all your birds have it. You can place new birds on land that has never had chickens before and they will still get it. The good news is that most birds are naturally resistant, and symptoms only occur in genetically susceptible birds or birds with weakened immune systems. Keeping a surviver will not hurt your flock. Survivors are actually more likely to breed more resistant offspring. Yes, they shed the virus, but it's in the soil, so your flock has already been exposed.
  • I wanted to add that today I discussed this coarse of treatment with my vet, after hearing that I was doing it the first time he did more research on it. He said although there is no cure that this treatment is being used and has been successful, but that it is unknown in the medical community whether it just helps support them as they go through the mareks it or if it can cure, he leans towards the first but no one knows for sure. I am so thankful of this post since for me it seems to be working, and as the vet said certainly cant hurt.
  • We are talking hypericum, the plant with yellow flowers?

We have those in the garden, wonder if the chickens will self medicate...

DON'T.. Hypericum (St. John's Wort) is toxic to many livestock including poultry as a plant. It causes photosensitivity and dermatitis, and can lead to liver damage.

The tablets are usually made from an initial solution that contains about 0.3% of the active ingredient hypericin. This is then diluted further, thus the 30 means an active concentration of about 0.01%.

There are hypericin based products on the market for poultry - google "sunwin + hypericin". These are designed for poultry contracting avian influenza.
  • I hate to say it - there is no "cure" for Marek's. There might be a treatment, a survival rate, but not a cure. It's a carrier disease once it's done causing symptoms. You never cure it - you just kind of fix it.

That being said, there are no common ways of telling if a bird truly has Marek's other than a necropsy- and by then it's too late.

This being said, yes - I think that in some cases the neurological signs of Marek's can be survived (provided they don't get the neoplasias) and a bird, though a carrier, can live for years. That's my experience of it. BUt it MUST MUST MUST be differentiated from Leukosis and you can *only* do that through a necropsy AND histopathology. Period. Leukosis is a very devestating disease and one which even I would cull every bird with it. (There are living tests.)
    If you lose two birds to Marek's, please have any other ill birds tested. Contact your local ag college extension for less expensive necropsies/histo's. Do it ahead of time so you'll be prepared. Some places require a live, ill bird - others will accept a carcass if it's held/stored a certain way
  • I just thought some might be interested in this, as I was.
    Bill
  • Ok Dept of Ag will come and get ANY dead bird you have and send it off for testing, at their expense.
    Place bird in zip lock bag and put in refrigerator. Call ODA, they will pick up the bird, pack it and send it off.
    I had an adult bird die on a Saturday when I was gone. Sunday morning, I put him in a bag in the frig and Monday ODA picked it up. The lab called on Wednesday and said the bird was in excellent shape for testing and by Thursday they called with a diagnosis.
    Because of the AI scare, most states have this service as the USDA funds the service and likes to see birds being tested. it makes them feel safe I guess.
  • This is a great thread and very informative! Keep this helpful information coming fellas!
  • I was reading on a deal the other day that showed a picture of what some of the diseased birds looked like and it showed a crazy chick disease. It really looked like the chick had lost all his marbles. No known cause nor cure.
  • Bump to top
  • edited April 2013
    this sounds like a great idea , a number of years back , luther vines of alabama had a problem with a disease some of you guys in ala , tim you may remember , niles told me , maybe luther , but ive forgotten what it was , but they wanted to destroy all of his birds , i really dont know how he got around it , but if i have a problem . i usually have a good idea what it is , i get rid of the bird
  • Don't call the gov. Larango!