Incubators - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Incubators

Was thinking about a new incubator. Wanted some input on what people like and dislike about there incubators

Comments

• lotslesslotsless Albany Oregon
    I have a old model RollX incubator with automatic turner...I have had it for a lot of years..i bought it used and it has served me well...I would highly recommend them....
  • ClinkClink NE Oklahoma
    I have a Rollx too, with the 109 egg turner, they are great incubators, it's tough to do staggered hatches. I ended up hand turning eggs for a week or so when a batch was hatching. I have a couple homemade one's and a half built 300 egger with turner, when I finish it, I will use the rollx as a hatcher.
    I had a Styrofoam Incubator...that i used as a hatcher in the past...that seemed to work ok....
    When my eggs are hatching in the Rollx i use bags made out of netting that my wife made for me...I put the eggs from different matings ...in each bag so i can keep the chicks seperate...I use garbage bag ties to keep the bags shut..and tag each bag to identify the chicks...
  • ClinkClink NE Oklahoma
    edited January 2016
    I'm gonna try to make a few lil cages they can hatch in and hopefully keep the turner going too, that should get me by til I need my bigger incubtor
  • I have a Rollx too that I bought from Marvin Cagle and really like it. I have a GQF hatcher that I hatch in.
  • Anyone have any input on a dickey incubator
  • I've heard they are good, about the same thing as a GQF.
  • I have both a dickey and a Georgia Quail Farm. The Dickey is better made with better materials and was cheaper in cost. Both incubators do their jobs well as I incubate in the GQF and hatch in the Dickey. I would suggest that you invest in a good high quality hygrometer and thermometer to use in either machine. If you want total control, get one of the GQF machines with the built in automatic controls. The Dickey came with a combination temp and hygrometer that was not very accurate and I junked it.
  • Barry I have the electronic GQF and its holds very good and is idiot proof. Lol
  • I have the electronic GQF also and it never causes me any problems. I just set it, check the readout a couple of times a day, and let it do it's job.
  • Anyone else have any input
  • Fred I m looking to buy one too and am strongly considering the digital GQF just because of the controls it has. As you know I used the older GQF's and I converted them from wafers to electronic which worked very well with no problems as long as they were controlled environment.
    Just adding my thoughts.
  • Bill, You bring up a very valid point. Location of incubator has a lot to do with success. Best to be in a room that temperature stays pretty constant and not fluctuate.
  • I used a P.I.D. temp controller in the incubator I built a couple years ago. These can be used as a heating or cooling devise. If whatever you're trying to heat or cool is well insulated the ambient temp. doesn't have much effect on temp. inside the unit. I used 3/4 in. plywood to build this incubator and whether the ambient temp. was 20 degrees or 85 degrees the temp inside the unit would always stay 99 to 100. On the P.I.D. controller the heat source would come on at 99 and shut off at 100.
  • Nice job Lee. My little GQF Genesis hatched 34 out of 38 fertile eggs this weekend. I happy with that.
  • Bill I think I am going to buy the gqf. I have one but its old and would like a new up to date incubator. I'm always worried it is going to let me down.
  • Them marsh lyon incubator with plastic dome type are they pretty good bators.
  • ClinkClink NE Oklahoma
    My rollx works good, but it is a lil akward setting and removing eggs.
    1456608227426.jpg
    780 x 439 - 22K
    I have a old Rol-X...That i bought used and have had it for 20 years and it sure has done me good...