Wheat Germ Oil - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Wheat Germ Oil

Can wheat germ oil be given daily or does it need to be rationed?
I feed Red Cell as a top dress every other day for all my birds, should I give Wheat Germ Oil every other day as well?

Comments

• It can be given every day. Every other day should help your males with fertility.
  • Helps with hatch ability and chick survival too.
  • Red Cell, Wheat germ oil, and Cod liver oil all produce about the same results with the addition of Vitamin E and B complex plus other things.
    I prefer Cod liver oil over anything for two reasons. It is easier to digest ( as animal protein is) and it is animal protein based, with helps better with fertility.
    For us the other good reason to use an oil based additive is that it works as a bonding agent for any dry additives. We also mix Fish Meal with our feed for our breeders to help with fertility and chick survival.
    I also bought an electric cement mixer to mix our feed in and it work great. It's one of those small ones from Home Depot. I found it on Craigslist for $150 and it was only used once.

Bob C
  • edited January 2016
    Good information bob...
  • I have used wheat germ oil in the past but this year tried Cod Liver Oil. So far happy with the results.
  • do you all suggest red cell daily in the water or mixed in the feed. or every other day. I used fish oil years ago and liked it. wheat germ oil is another i would like to try.Do any of these help with weight gain
  • Red cell only once a week straight. I mix 8 to 10 ounces per batch of soaked oats 50 lb bag.
  • Fish oil mixed in feed Mon., Wed., and Fri. Red Cell mixed in feed Tues., Thurs., and Sat. Regular feed on Sun. That's how I always done it.
  • GREAT INFO GUYS THANK YOU.
  • How much cod liver oil would you guys use for a 50lb bag if you were giving it to them every other day?
  • nboonnboon Princeton Texas
    Where can I get pure wheat germ oil in a Gallon or so
  • Garrett, the feed store in Princeton has it.
    Ok thank you
  • It will probably be a blend.The one I use is 16 dollars a gallon.
  • The only measurement I found was 1 quart to 100lbs of feed. Dose that sound right to you guys?
  • A few tablespoons to a bucket of feed. Just enough to make it shine. Feed once a week, twice a week during the moult.
    I feed wheat germ oil every other day
  • Garrett, I looked at the wheat germ oil at the feed store yesterday and it is a blend.
  • valley vet carries rex brand wheat germ oil , straight or in a blend , i use the straight , or pure wheat germ oil , it costs me about 43.00 a gallon including shipping the blend here is 32.99 a gallon in another brand ,i assoure it has very little wheat germ in it , mostly the cheap oils