Lemon Blue ? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Lemon Blue ?

scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
edited May 2012 in Product Reviews
My thoughts have always been that the Lemon Blue was the Blue version of the Brown Red. My understanding is that most of the Lemon Blue Breeders are using Lemon Blue Sports crossed over BrownReds to get 100% Lemon Blue. My confussion grows as I read the Standard and look at the color patterns of the Males in each breed.
LemonBlues, according to the standard,

HEAD: Lemon. NECK: Hackle-LUSTROUS DARK BLUE????, laced with lemon.???

BROWNRED

HEAD: Lustrous deep orange. NECK: Hackle - lustrous deep orange, with a narrow dark stripe through the middle of each feather, terminating in a point near its lower extremity.

I dont believe I have ever seen a LemonBlue with a LUSTROUS DARK BLUE Hackle? Is this a mis-print or have we steered away from the standard on Lemon Blue Males?

Comments

• cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    The Standard is confusing to me also Ernie. I personally have not seen any Lemon Blues that match the description as stated in the Standard. Maybe our Judges could weigh in here and provide more insight on this.
  • Ernie,
    The way I interpret that would be similar to the desription of the Brown Red the difference being in the imphasis on the blue in the hackle, which is the black center stripe in brown red.
    Go on to the wing bow...
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Carl, I see your point. but I would think that the hackle should read, 'lustrous lemon with narrow blue stripe through the middle of each feather,......' and the wing bow? Its not even close to the brownred either. I guess the LB is not the blue version of the brown red.
  • edited May 2012
    If u look the blue laced with lemon is Dark Blue. its not the same color as the body feathers. Same as the lace on the wing bow.. Once in a while you will get wingbows that mach the saddle and hackles but they are usually lacking type..
    edited June 2012
    xxx
    100_7771.jpg
    750 x 499 - 191K
  • Could someone post pictures of LB'S that are closeups so I can see what you are referring to exactly?
    Bill
  • The Standard is confusing to me also Ernie. I personally have not seen any Lemon Blues that match the description as stated in the Standard. Maybe our Judges could weigh in here and provide more insight on this.
    Tracy, where are you when we need you? Give us some input here, Please.
    Bill

• The Standard is confusing to me also Ernie. I personally have not seen any Lemon Blues that match the description as stated in the Standard. Maybe our Judges could weigh in here and provide more insight on this.

Tracy, where are you when we need you? Give us some input here, Please.
    Bill

• For some reason I guess Tracy is not going to get in this topic but I have an interest to learn more of it. If there are any other comments on it I could only appreciate them.
    Bill
  • ok had to find a young one so u could see the lacing. As they get older its fuller so not so noticeable until u look at each feather by itself
    0907001644.jpg
    2048 x 1536 - 1M
  • u can still kinda see it in this older one.
    2010-11-08_16-47-32_429.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    Thanks Tim. I see what you are saying.
  • My thoughts have always been that the Lemon Blue was the Blue version of the Brown Red. My understanding is that most of the Lemon Blue Breeders are using Lemon Blue Sports crossed over BrownReds to get 100% Lemon Blue. My confussion grows as I read the Standard and look at the color patterns of the Males in each breed.
    LemonBlues, according to the standard,

HEAD: Lemon. NECK: Hackle-LUSTROUS DARK BLUE????, laced with lemon.???

BROWNRED

HEAD: Lustrous deep orange. NECK: Hackle - lustrous deep orange, with a narrow dark stripe through the middle of each feather, terminating in a point near its lower extremity.

I dont believe I have ever seen a LemonBlue with a LUSTROUS DARK BLUE Hackle? Is this a mis-print or have we steered away from the standard on Lemon Blue Males?
    These feathers look like lemon laced with blue. I also see the confusion. Of course you are talking to a dummy here but it looks like the hackle is not dark lustrious blue laced with lemon but quite the opposite.

• After looking I guess I can see the point that around the blue the edges are lemon.
    So i can see what is being said here also.
  • thats what they mean the base color is blue (center of feather)and laced with lemon (edge of feather)
  • I got you now Tim, it just looks like there is much more lemon than blue, is that common?
  • edited July 2012
    Yes looks like more lemon but thats because all you see is the lace side of the feather when ur looking at the bird. Brown reds are the same way..
  • Thanks Tim!