Silver version of brassy back? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Silver version of brassy back?

edited March 2015 in Made from Scratch
Just wondering if you could make a silver version of a brassy back I guess it would be a silver back and is that color pattern in existence already , is it even possible? Figured it would be a good topic

Comments

• Back in the old days, when John Smith showed Blue Brassies, he would have some males that looked more silver than brassy.
  • How could you get this color could you use silver duck wing over brassy back or birchen over brassy ?
  • I guess you could do both and see what happens
  • edited April 2015
    Should not be difficult. Use a silver ducking cock over brassy hens. The pullets will be silver. Cockerells will be golden.
    Take the Cockrell back to brassy hens keep the silver pulleys that otherwise look like a brassy
  • I have thought of this before also. I know there are silver quail out there, if you could get one of them your desired outcome would be faster i think.
  • Does anyone have any pics of a silver version of a brassy back
  • Okay, Help me understand what you are calling a silver brassyback. Is it Changing the black feathers to silver and leaving the brassy marking in tact. If so, you will need the Columbian gene in there to change the body from black to whiteand not effect the reds. Silver quail sounds logical since quail carries the columbian gene. At least I think it does.
  • I was thinking it would be changing the red to silver and leave the black I guess you could then call it a silver back I'm thinking in the same lines as bb red and silver duck wing, red version silver version.
  • That would be my thoughts as well. I had some when I used BB for the Columbian rosecomb but the BB I used was well known for throwing brassybacks.
    I still think a person could easily use a SDW male over brassy hens to replace the brass with silver. Just follow up with two additional mating of F1 male back over brassy hens to keep the silver hackled pullets the other would be a F1xF1 mating for a silver male. You should have the color in 2 generations and stable in 4 or 5
  • Thanks for answering that question guys. When I heard brassy in the name I thought you guys wanted to keep the brassy and change the black to silver. It is like a silver ginger that has no ginger in it's color what so ever just duplicating the pattern. So would the female still have the brassy salmon breast?
  • Would think the breast would come with similar effect as a silver Wheaton maybe a lighter creamier breast not real sure but I thinking about working on this project I think it would be a good looking variety who knows it might catch on
  • Go for it Russ. I always like the underdogs. When I watch a western I take up for the Indians even though I know what the outcome will be. LOL
  • Meant silver duck wing not silver wheaten in my last post
  • The brassy is a ducking variety with and additional gene to bring more black to the front and visible rather than stippled. You only need to make the cross to introduce silver but you want to keep the genetic base. You will have color issues in the cross and in some offspring for a few generations. Using the "split" male over brassy hens will speed the process as 1/2 the pulleys will be silver and 1/2 of them will have what your looking for.
  • Going to probably get me some silver duck wings in a couple weeks so I can start the first cross it's going to be interesting
  • Nutens was right about the blue brassys looking silver I was looking at pics last night and was able to get an idea of what they might look like , they will be a nice colored oegn
  • MathenyMatheny Northeast Arkansas
    Sdw has light colored legs and brassy has dark how hard will it be to get that worked out