WHICH COLOR OF O.E. IS THE NEXT BIG THING. - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WHICH COLOR OF O.E. IS THE NEXT BIG THING.

tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
edited May 2012 in User Suggestions
THEY ARE SO MANY OUT THERE WHICH ONE DO YOU THINK IS THE NEXT BIG THING, I WILL START WITH WHEATON.S. THERE SEEMS TO BE ALOT OF INTEREST IN OPALS AND COLUMBIANS.

Comments

• scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    I would like to see Golden Duckwings have a serge in popularity.
  • Tracy,
    There does seem to be alot of really good wheatons making their appearance. Oklahoma and Texas has some really nice ones. As far as the other two you mentioned well they are two very challenging colors and the foundation for their improvements is being layed right now. I am proud to be involved with both of the,Many inquiries are coming in about the Columbians with comments like "I can't get close to one much less acquire some." I think when we get a little more type improvement and people see males with real Columbian color this will be a popular variety. There are so many beautiful varieties that need someone to improve and promote them. All it takes is a few good people that have the stick to it in them and willing to put the variety ahead of their own personal gain.
  • I think it may be between 3 varieties. Columbian, Birchen and Silver Blue. Brown Red is falling off rapidly (I tried to give some away and was told they were too common) Opal still need a fair amount of work to be right ( as far OE feather and body) I am not at a point that I will let Opal go to anyone who does not have years of experience working with OE, the Birchen, Silver Blue I have are there ( in my opinion) The columbian have made huge strides in the past few years and continue to improve dramitacally I think some eyes will really be opened this year with them.
  • The next big thing will probably be another version of the already popular colors, you know just give them a tweek or so, and put someone's last name on them and one or two first place finishes and voila, there you have it the next big thing! or Fad, or who knows what it will be called! Sorry but this is just the way things seem to go, I hope I am sincerely wrong about this and would really like to see some colors get the popularity they deserve and rise up in comparison with some of the more popular colors. But it takes dedication and hard work, plus time and most people are looking for shortcuts to the top of the ladder. There are so many varieties that could look so much better if they could get in the right hands and if the judges can see past popularity colors and be willing to place such colors on champion row! Just my two cents...
  • I don't know far as winning...... I saw a Lemon Blue hen pull down a major show this year .... Two matter of fact .... I saw a Self Blue cockrell place In the top five in about every show he was shown down here .... You could go with them two I guess There a lot of good birds out there now not just in Blacks-Whites- BBs-Blues...arelets say the BIG BOYS ..... The Lemon Blues are prob the most sought after and competitive variety in the last couple years here !!!!!! .... So I'd say them as far as WINNING... The more people workin on them the better there gonna get .... And theres a lot of good breeders in the Browns and lemons right now .... But far as a up and coming Variety HANDS down OPALS !!!! Not saying there gonna WIN heck there not even recognized CAN'T WIN .... But the interest I have seen in two years is been crazy .... Showed my first OPAL ( ONE ) in Dalton G.A. The first Opal the judge's ever saw and people from here had ever... It came in second place out of 25 Non Recognized O.E.s Its cought on like wild fire down here .... Lot of people wanting them and a lot going to be showing them .... I hope working on them I know I am .... Novmber this year in Dalton G.A at the Nationals from what I've heard they will be from fifty to seventy five with up to ten people showing them .... Now thats a bird that can't win .... Wonder what it ( OPAL ) would do if they were recognized and how many opals would be there.... Yes and Yes they need work .... So to ALL O.E.s .... My personal gain from this varity to date is to not hide it at home put it out there and let it be seen ..... Share it with others .... ANDput some out there so others can do the same ..... But my bigest expectation going forth is it's RECOGNITION to the STANDARDS ..... You get this bird recognizied and give it a few years ..... You will see a Opal place in the top five religiously.... Like the Lemons you put this birds out there In the hands of the right breeders put the competitive edge factor in it ITS DONE .... Personal gain's then go to the birds .... And the more the marry THANKS
  • Just a thought people been wrong before LOL
  • Thanks for the reminder, and how true it usually is with me! Sorry if I offended anyone!!
  • Just a thought people been wrong before LOL
    Ive been

• tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    I REALLY THINK THE LESSER VARITYS ARE TURNING HEADS EVEN JUDGES.IN THE LAST 10 YEARS YOU CAN SEE SEVERAL COLORS WIN, NOT SO BEFORE THEN.LIKE I SAID PLENTY OF GREAT BREEDERS OF ALL COLORS.
  • Fawn Reds is a up and coming O.E.
  • Fawn Reds is a up and coming O.E.
  • Hay I too am sorry about my post here....Pay it no mine.... I need to learn to hush... My wilf tells me that all the time...... gotta i guess
  • I know I've had a short showing career but you always saw a bb,white, black in the top spots. Now you are seeing the wheatens and lemons always up there. I was also glad to see keith proctor consistently placing a ginger in the top five this year. I personally would love to see the birchens come back. They had a boom back in the early two thousands and now I haven't seen hardly any.
  • The Birchens are just about to turn the corner. Carl Jarvis, Troy Vannnoy and I think Gene Williams has some also and I here they are making great headway. I can vouch for Carl's ones as I saw them in person but heard good things about the other guys birds.
  • I have not seen Troy's or Jeff's but Gene had an oustanding male this spring at the great plains classic.
  • That's a color I could add to my resume after I get going with the gingers again. They are some really good looking birds when their right.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    I HEARD FROM A REAL GOOD SOURCE THAT LEMON BLUE,S ARE THE NEXT BIG THING IN THE SOUTH.
  • What would a black tail peach look like ? Lol
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Lemon Blues? I can see that tracy. I have a few of those myself, thanks to cockofthewalk. They are a beautiful variety. Hope we raise some good-uns this season.