silver wheatens - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

silver wheatens

Hello new to the site and I want to really focus on breeding silver wheatens and I'm wondering if anyone has any updates on how they are doing, thanks Sergio.

Comments

• I don't think too many folks have them, I have a few that I hatched last year. I will try and hatch a few more this spring. I would be interested in hearing more on them, I hear they are on the inactive list. I know Ronnie Ledford told me he used to raise them, and Brad Richardson did also, but has got rid of his..
  • I think they're awesome. I got some good wheatens and silver duckwings hopefully a start
  • R u selling any sq silver duckwing
  • Which Wheaton do u have blue or reg.Wheaton
  • Would I be better off buying silver wheatens from ideal and improving on type or sticking with wheatens and sdw
  • Could someone post a pic of a Silver Wheaten? I don't think I have ever seen one
  • The males look like a silver duckwing. The females are wheaton with a silver hackle.
    I used to get some out of the Columbian I has used wheaton with.
  • Sounds like nice looking bird. Can't wait to see a real one
  • I saw 2 females at Pryor today that originated from you Carl. Jerry showed them. They were nice.
    Bill
  • So it's better to use Columbian and wheaten
  • Sergio I made them in 2 generations 1st was SDW male over Wheaten Females then Brother over Sister
  • What did you look for when choosing your breeders
  • Sergio
    For me they were an expected result just an undesired result.
    If you use the sdw male over wheaton keep a Cockrell from the first cross breed to his sisters. Cull the chick's with a ducking pattern or stripes in down. Keep only the wheaton looking females breed back to the first cross male cull the chick's the same again.
  • Thanks Carl. I'll definitely be doing that.
  • Bill,
    Those silver wheatens sure was a sight to behold. Very pretty birds.
  • Actually, Bill, those were my birds, and yes, they did originate from a bird Carl let me have and my wheaten hens. I will try and get a pic later.
  • Hey okie1 I'd really like some if you ever have any to spare
  • I'm Sorry Ned, I knew that too. Forgive my senility.
    Bill
  • Hey, no problem, Bill, and Sergio63 if I get any extra this spring I will let you know. I am gonna try and hatch some, I have a few issues with them I would like to improve on. I am gonna have to seek advice from Carl, Brad, or Ronnie Ledford. Here is a couple pics I took this evening. Not the best but you can get an idea what they look like.
  • edited March 2015
    Try again
    20150308_183839.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 4M