What are the breed standards for Ginger Reds in relation to color? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What are the breed standards for Ginger Reds in relation to color?

If people could post some pics and talk about what to look for and what are flaws. Thanks!

Comments

• what do you need to know ? the standard has the color pattern, which you rarely see. most of the males are to dark , but most judges in the lesser varieties just go with type. the females are starting to look the same, but the male go from one end of the color spectrum to the other.
  • what do you need to know ? the standard has the color pattern, which you rarely see. most of the males are to dark , but most judges in the lesser varieties just go with type. the females are starting to look the same, but the male go from one end of the color spectrum to the other.
    Tater, This is so true. One of the first things I noticed when I returned to this hobby was that the ginger red males weren't what they were 20 years ago. Some come closer to the New Hampshire red color then ginger Got to admit type has gotten better though.

• What I really am looking for is what do I look for when I have offspring to cull. I believe I understand the wing carriage, head, chest, and feather width and angle. I do not understand what is the color I am looking for in cocks and hens. What is too dark, too light, etc. Thanks for any information you give me.
  • my birds are just a little dark, top color looks a lot like a BB red, needs to look more like the bb x wheaten crosses. not too light but more Orange color.
    the female are closer to the standard, light creamy yellow breast and golden yellow hackle and stippled down the back and wings
    leg color should be a slate blue, older birds legs will some time lighten up

looks at the standard, the bb female has about the same description , just change the brown color to ginger yellow
    lot of people showing females with shafting and lacing, just a defect
    black stripping in the hackle and saddle on the male is a big defect
  • Thanks, that is great information.
  • Tater knows his gingers so he would be a good one to listen too
  • If Tater is who I think he is, what he says is as good as it gets on Ginger Reds.
  • This is as good as it gets on gingers :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
    Screenshot_2014-12-26-15-42-55-1.png
    720 x 755 - 856K
    20141201_135238-1.jpg
    1389 x 1591 - 2M
    Screenshot_2014-02-02-14-01-58-1.png
    645 x 548 - 536K
    20140312_173119-1-1.jpg
    1212 x 1191 - 1M
    Screenshot_2014-01-25-20-48-48-1.png
    703 x 719 - 652K
  • Tater is right bout bout the diverse color in the gingers. I was amazed at the color differences in 60 birds at last years National. I ended up with Bv & Rv so id guess my females are close to what u want
  • Gamereaper, those are spectacular. Gingers are my favorite variety. I got my first small hatch last spring so I have a long way to go. Thanks for posting the photos.
  • crow now, but don't look over your shoulder. lol
  • Tater, ill be lookin for yall at nationals this year. Ive got 10 pens of gingers set up
  • just 3 here with a single mating, got the barn built, now have to put the paint on!!
  • Let's see some photos please Tater.
  • don't know how to post pics ! just a old rock mason
  • Tater do you live in NC?
  • How about this one.
    20150206_172500.jpg
    5312 x 2988 - 5M
  • lotslesslotsless Albany Oregon
    Im no expert on Gingers but i like the looks of him

• yes, I live in Lawndale, N.C., midway of Charlotte and Ashville
  • Dusty, let us see the cockerel you posted a while back, had good type and length of tail