Feeding birds - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Feeding birds

At what age do you guys stop feeding chick starter and put them on your adult bird feed. Especially on whites.

Comments

• nboonnboon Princeton Texas
    When I decide I'll put them up so about 15 to 20 weeks
  • about 4 mo old seems right. The depending on what I wanr to do with them will determine what I switch feed to. Ex. Prospective showbirds get my conditioning diet while if they are for broodstock replacement they switch to a breeder pellet.
  • I switch to adult feed at 12-14 weeks.
  • I like to get them on pellets as soon as I can , there is alot of waste in crumbles. Once a month I like to feed boiledrice soaked in buttermilk with redcell,clovite vitamin, and some cayenne pepper. This is an old cockfighters mix its a good way to get vitamins and minerals to yr birds. They might ook at ir funny the first couple times but once they've ate it they will go nuts for it
    20141222_125039.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • That looks like it will stick to the ribs reaper.
  • Shane , trust me u wanna keep a red head on a chicken . Drop couple spoons that in there pen. Its cheap except for the clovite vitamin but even if u just go with rice and butter milk it keeps them healthier.
  • Willie, That looks like a good formula for good health and help to body them up. Putting the redcell in there is much more effective than adding to their water.
  • Ive been considering returning to another of the old game chicken treats . U take a plastic barrel fill with oats, water and as much applecider vinegar as u think needed, let soak for week or two and BAM u have a smelly mix that chickens luv as a treat . Just scoop , strain and feed with yard feed . The oats will actually sprout on top so they get greens as well. BE WARNED THOUGH ITS A ACQUIRED SMELL
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    CHUM FOR GATERS.
  • Hey game reaper if u mix red cell,rice, and butter milk and feed it to em it will redden up their heads?
  • Ive been considering returning to another of the old game chicken treats . U take a plastic barrel fill with oats, water and as much applecider vinegar as u think needed, let soak for week or two and BAM u have a smelly mix that chickens luv as a treat . Just scoop , strain and feed with yard feed . The oats will actually sprout on top so they get greens as well. BE WARNED THOUGH ITS A ACQUIRED SMELL
    I had my grand kids throwin' up in the back yard this past summer when I was feeding soak oats, some kind of strong smellin' stuff lol.

• I add 4 cups of sugar and 4 cups of vinegar to mine . I seal it up and let it work for at least two weeks .. Smell !! But I think a man could get drunk off the run ...
  • Birds love it !!
  • Sounds like you guys are making home brew! No wonder the birds like it so much...they are getting drunk! LOL
  • '' you can not get the smell off you hands. ''
  • I am just wondering what everyone uses as there main base feed. Whats its protein % and do you think the % should be increased in the winter time.
  • I feed Purina Flock Raiser all year and add gamecock grain in the winter. The grain puts a little weight on the birds and helps them stand the cold.
  • How would feather fixer by nutrena work as a breeder feed. Im looking for a feed to give to breeders but I dont have a breeder feed or gamecock feed in my area. Around here we only have purina (which is layer or flock raiser) and nutrena dealers. Thanks
    Jace