Frozen waterers - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Frozen waterers

edited December 2014 in User Suggestions
I think I know the answer to this given where most of you are located, but does anybody have any tricks or favorite products they can share for battling frozen waterers?

Comments

• I use the long aluminum pop bottle waterers and change them out daily when they do not thaw. Have an extra set to put inside to thaw and the process only takes a few minutes in cold weather. Smith Poultry and Cutlers Supply have them.
  • Thank you for that suggestion. Does anybody use a heated waterer that they like? Or is everybody blessed with warm, sunny days or heated barns all year long?
  • Its all about how much you are willing to spend. We had a circulated auto water system at the farm they are nice until they give trouble. I use mostly pop bottle waterers with spare bottles kept in the garage just switch out.
    The v bottom cups clean out quick to refill either of them work well.
  • I use the cups that hang on the wire and have a extra set and change out each day
  • Thanks - I am familiar with the switching out routine. I have lots of cracked cage cups leftover from when I had birds many years ago. This time around I would like to keep water in front of them all the time. Do the V bottom cups crack less than the square ones? Seems like they might. I found a cable heater made specifically for chicken drinkers (10 watts). I am currently testing it on a reservoir gravity waterer (1.6 gallons). It's not perfect for that but it might work for cage cup styles.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    I EMPTY MY CUPS BY PUTTING THEM ON THE TOP OF EACH PEN WHEN THE SUN IS OUT THEN PUT THEM BACK INTO THE PEN AND FILL UP 1/2 WAY WITH WATER THEN ADD A LITTLE IN THE EVENING.THEN WHILE THERE IS A LITTLE WATER AND A BLOCK OF ICE SOMETIMES THEY WILL POP OUT.IF SO JUST PUT CUPS BACK INTO CAGE AT NIGHT AND FILL 1/2 WAY AGAIN.IF ITS REAL COLD I ROTATE THE CUPS I HAVE TO PUT THEM IN THE GARAGE OVERNIGHT TO GET THE ICE OUT.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    IT MIGHT BE EASIER ON ALL OF US TO MOVE TO A WARMER PLACE. LOL.I FIGHT THIS ABOUT 2 MONTHS A YR. THE PEOPLE THAT LIVE UP NORTH DO THIS 3 TO 5 MONTHS.
  • Come on here. No problem with freezing in southeast La. as long as you are south of
    I-10.
  • The v bottom cups dont seem to crack as easy and the ice pops out easier in my experience.
  • We had single digits several times in November here in Iowa. The worst is yet to come. I think this cable heater is going to be the ticket for cage cups if I can get them converted to 110v.
  • I know there are water pipe heat strips primarily for mobile homes available in 110Vac coupled with a temperature switch that would turn it on when below 32 degrees would work well. You could then use the nipple waterers in PVC or PEX.
    If you need a diagram on how to wire it let me know I will draw it for you.
  • That's very nice of you. I will let you know what I come up with.