how many birds do you breed a year? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

how many birds do you breed a year?

edited November 2014 in Somethin' to Crow About
Just curious how many birds do you like to breed per year and how many of those do you like to keep? Thanks

Comments

• Breed or hatch? I hatched 65 chicks from 8 hens and 4 cocks. Keep 4 cockerels to show.
  • Yeah hatch thanks. I heard that if you can keep 6 birds a year your doing good but I would imagine its different for everyone thank you
  • I have had a couple years that I only keep 1 bird, and that's what I brought to the show. People laughed at me when I would show up with 1 bird, but there's no need to feed a bird that you don't like. It only takes 1 to win a show and I have won show champ when I only had 1.lol

• tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    TO MANY.
  • I agree Tracy way to many, last year was close to 400 hatched maybe even 500. This year I started single mating more , now that I have the Numbers to pick from. Will probably still hatch 400-500 Buffs this year as to move them forward I will have to have a good selection
  • edited November 2014
    I like my breeders this year. Won't hatch as many. Around 30 Brownreds,30 Female line BB's. 30 Columbians and about 30 ea. Birchen, Birchen Black X back. and Birchen Brownred X back. Oh, and just a few Wheatens. So hopefully 200 max. By end of April. Then shut it down and raise them out. Cot about 6 dozen eggs in the bator right now The son will be pushing his Kelsos and Thompson Valley Wingates this year. Just got a new trio from Mr. Blevin a couple weeks ago.
  • I hope to hatch 10 out of my trio of creles. If I don't raise any show worthy I will raise 20 next yr. I can't have roosters here but am able to get by with one. If I get any promising cockerals I'll split them with my Buddy for keeping them 4 me.
  • I raise about 100 to 125 birds each year and end up keeping about 10 or 12.