Cloning Poultry - OEGB Int'l Society

Cloning Poultry

cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
edited March 2012 in Somethin' to Crow About
I know many species have been cloned, dogs, horses, cattle, sheep.  Has anyone heard of cloning poultry ?  Is it even possible ?  If perfect specimens were used as donors then in theory all clones would also be perfect considering if environment and nutrition were adequate.

Comments

• scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    I would like to have some clones on some of the birds that have been winning around here! Can you imagine having that Black cockerel cloned that Andy Barnes had at Newcastle or how about that BBred? And Troy Vannoy's red pyle pullet that he won the Atoka show with. Or what about that brownred pullet that Jeff Burkhart had at Newcastle? And dont forget Marvin Cagle's white pullet that won the Nationals this last year. Any of those birds would make a powerful clone.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Them boys aint going to let you pluck no DNA out of their birds!
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    You are exactly right Ernie they would be crazy to share DNA. I have since done some reading on poultry cloning and it does not seem to be working as well as it does on horses and cattle. They are in fact cloning meat birds to get the optimum specimens for commercial use. They have encountered several problems, blindness and double beaks to name a few. Bottom line IT IS NOT NICE TO FOOL WITH MOTHER NATURE !!!!!
  • So a basically perfect bird with two beaks that may be blind...for how much?