QUESTION FOR ALL EXIBITORS - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

QUESTION FOR ALL EXIBITORS

tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
edited April 2012 in User Suggestions
IF YOU HAVE 2 OLD ENGLISH YOU ARE PICKING ONE IS A SOLID COLOR COCK AND ONE IS A MULTICOLORED PULLET. KNOW REMEMBER THAT THEY ARE EVEN,WHICH ONE WOULD YOU PICK AND WHY.

Comments

• cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    edited April 2012
    This is why I am not a poultry judge but I will venture to say the cock. I would say that with both being even the cock has a better chance of the color being correct?

Don't laugh Tracy, educate me. I've always had a problem with wanting to show my ignorance first !!!
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    How many replies do you have to get before you post the answer?
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    LET A FEW PEOPLE GET IN ON THIS ONE FIRST.
  • I guess I would have to say the cock.Just because he has held together with age.Just my thought.
  • If they are truly equal in type and color some will say choose the parti-colored bird but I would say choose the cock over a pullet because he is matured and finished and you are looking at what he really is.
  • I'm just a female person. I'd pick the purdy little female.
  • The multi-colored pullet because it is more difficult to breed a multi-colored bird to perfection than a solid colored bird, no matter what the age is! Well did that answer satisfy your question Tracy? LOL
  • Both being equal the older bird always wins.
  • Age before Beauty?? LOL
  • edited April 2012
    You guys will find the answer in your standard under judging instructions. Tracy, this was a great question. It is the perfect example of why a person needs to own a full standard. I know a few people that have one of the Old English books that has the standard for that breed in it and that ain't enough. Judges instructions, scale of points, general disqualifications and defect and so much more cannot be found in these little books.
  • If both birds were equal especially on type, I would pick the multi-colored bird as first. Its easier to get a good solid than it is a multi-colored bird.
  • Barry, That is sound logic and I am sure some judges may follow that logic but the standard is quite clear. Under judging instructions it states that a mature bird shall win over a younger speciman of equal merit. Now whether they are of equal merit by comparison judging are if they scored exactly the same using the point scale, if they are both in good condition and showed well then the mature bird should get the win as per ABA Standard. That is how I interpret it, anyway..
  • I would have to chose the cock bird just because he is mature.
  • Thanks for the lesson kdog. I didn't know that. I learned something today!
    FIRST OF ALL THEY WERE SOME GREAT ANSWERS AND THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN TO MANY TIMES. BECAUSE MOST BIRDS ARE NOT HARDLY EVER EVEN. BUT THE ANSWER IS THE COCK. IF YOU EVER JUDGE ALWAYS GIVE STRONG CONSIDERATION TO A MULTI- COLORED BIRD.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    tracy, why would you give strong consideration to a multi-colored bird, such as the pullet, and then award the solid colored cock the win? Im just curiouse.
    Very interesting stuff though. Thanks.
    THE TIE READS TO GO WITH THE OLDER BIRD AND THE OLDER BIRD WILL WIN,AND THE MULTI-COLORED PULLET WAS RESERVE.BUT IF THE QUESTION WOULD OF BEEN OLDER SOLID COLORED COCK AND MULTI-COLORED COCK I WOULD PICK THE MULTI-COLORED COCK. SO EVEN IF I WENT WITH THE SOLID COCK LIKE THE STANDARD SAYS TO.YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE MULTI- COLORED BIRD BECAUSE IT IS HARDER TO GET THAN A SOLID COLOR. I HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION.
  • Should Be the Cock as hard as it is to get a male bird right and stay right. Much less a Cock bird ...
  • Interesting comments! Keep them coming fellows.
  • At the show we went to this weekend, my daughter's crele cockerel was RB. Before picking overall Bantam champion, the Jr judge went and got the Open judge and they gave the crele a very thorough looking over. Walked over to the Best of Breed BB red cock and compared birds. The original decision held,and no places were changed. I asked later what the deciding factor was and they said the nick out of the crele's main sickle cost him the BB and the Bantam Champion. He went on to say that the crele was better type and his color was more correct than the BB red cock, but the BB red was a cock and the crele had a nick.
    My girls are thrilled with what they did win and so am I - but if I don't ask - I won't learn!!