Wheaten Old English - Page 6 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Wheaten Old English

Comments

• The cockerel is from a TNT male line that Bill was kind enough to send home with me. The pullet is from a Burkhart female line. Thanks for the feedback.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    JORDAN THE FEMALE IS NICE GOOD TYPE AND COLOR.THE MALE WEEK IN THE WING AND TWO TONED IN COLOR.TREADWELL PUT BBRED IN THEM.
  • . I would think that male would trow a better female. But since it is out of treadwell stuff I wouldn't cross him into you're female line wheatons. He def has some of the best male line wheatons but if you cross them it might set you back on you're females. Good luck bud I'm a wheaton fan myself.
  • I Like that pullet a lot!! The Cockerel has a great colour and type but the tail might be carried a bit high..
  • JORDAN THE FEMALE IS NICE GOOD TYPE AND COLOR.THE MALE WEEK IN THE WING AND TWO TONED IN COLOR.TREADWELL PUT BBRED IN THEM.
    Tracy, please excuse my ignorance, but does "weak in the wing" mean I need to work on having a wing bow with less black, a broader wing bar, or is a type issue? lol.

By "two-toned in color" do you mean the hackle and saddle?
  • . I would think that male would trow a better female. But since it is out of treadwell stuff I wouldn't cross him into you're female line wheatons. He def has some of the best male line wheatons but if you cross them it might set you back on you're females. Good luck bud I'm a wheaton fan myself.
    Thank you for the advice. I will definitely breed both lines independently, but I may also put that cockerel over the Burkhart pullets just to see what happens. If they don't turn out, they can always be yard birds. lol.
  • Lol for sure. I'm more into the breeding and hatching and over all love for the birds. Showing is last I enjoy just having them. One maine thing I have learned is to toe punch. U gota do that.

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely breed both lines independently, but I may also put that cockerel over the Burkhart pullets just to see what happens. If they don't turn out, they can always be yard birds. lol.
    Jordan what color was the band on the cockerel?
  • Bill, the cockerel in the photo has a yellow band on his right leg.

DUNCAN WEAK IN THE WING BOW AND BAR ONLY.
  • DUNCAN WEAK IN THE WING BOW AND BAR ONLY.
    Jordan I have 50 or more of these cockerels coming on so if that one doesn't suit you we will find one that will. Next time you come through stop on in and take a look and if you want to bring that one and trade him in you can or you may want to keep him. Either way it would give you an excuse to come by again. I think in type the bird you have will finish out ok but that color may not and I am sure we have others that may suit you better. I would like to see him again as he matures on out. He favors his dad a whole lot in appearance but his dad was solid iin color. I won't charge you any more than I did for him I promise. LOL
    Bill
    BILL THE BIRD COULD CHANGE GIVE IT SOME TIME.
  • DUNCAN WEAK IN THE WING BOW AND BAR ONLY.

Jordan I have 50 or more of these cockerels coming on so if that one doesn't suit you we will find one that will. Next time you come through stop on in and take a look and if you want to bring that one and trade him in you can or you may want to keep him. Either way it would give you an excuse to come by again. I think in type the bird you have will finish out ok but that color may not and I am sure we have others that may suit you better. I would like to see him again as he matures on out. He favors his dad a whole lot in appearance but his dad was solid iin color. I won't charge you any more than I did for him I promise. LOL
    Bill
    Bill, you are a kind-hearted man. I am perfectly happy with the birds you gave me and want to keep them, but I definitely look forward to visiting with you again.

If his wings end up a little weak, it will be a great first project. I need to learn some things through experience--even though I'm still gonna keep asking for advice from those who have been there. lol.

I have been working on turning my cages into duplexes. I had built them 2' off the ground but am now converting those empty spaces below them into pens. I replaced the hardware cloth floor with treated plywood and the birds seem to like it better. The floor is now covered in pine shavings.

When I get the lower levels completed, I think I am going to use sand on the ground. I am hoping this is less condusive for fire ants. Any of you Texas breeders have tips for keeping fire ants out of your pens?

When I get the first one completed, I will post some before and after photos. I sure am looking forward to giving the birds a little more room.
  • Jordan google dried molasses for fire ants and you will get some good info. We sell it and it is a product we make at our Stockade plant in Pittsburg, Ks. If you decide to get you some the store you trade at there I believe handles it. If not they can get it from us.
    It sounds like a good plan with the pens and I will be waiting for the pictures. Be sure to use sound wire for the bottom surroundingunless you have them in a safe fence. the poultry netting is not sufficient to keep a dog out. just letting you know of a sad experience.
    Bill
    Ps did you get the little sick one ok yet?
  • Alright, I will give dried molasses a try. Do you get fire ants that far North, Bill? We didn't have any in Arkansas.

I picked up my first bag of Big V Show Broiler Krumbles yesterday. I'm going to start using it as soon as the other bag of feed runs out.

I am going to use hardware cloth and plywood for the side again, then I am going to set the edges of the pen on top of landscaping stones so that nothing will be able to dig under it.

The little one is still fighting it. I will finally get a chance to run by Tractor Supply and pick up some Tylan 50 today.
  • I gave those cockerels Tylan 50 last night and the one that had a droopy tail already has it upright for the first time. That stuff is impressive.

I also switched from regular apple cider vinegar to organic, raw, and unfiltered apple cider vinegar. I put 1/4 teaspon into their 1/2 pint cups, and it seems to be giving them a little extra pep.

Today is also worming day. I took away their water yesterday afternoon, and they were lined up waiting to drink their Wazine water this morning. Our flock should be in pretty good health within the next couple days. I love to see healthy and happy birds.
  • I raised a few from this guy this season. I call him Brick House.
    100_0726.JPG
    448 x 336 - 75K
  • i like that bird.alot. hes got a longer back and a better wing bow than mine, but exactly the same in hackle and saddle color. Like my birds, his wings, i feel, are a little low, im working on that with a swinging perch and it has helped. Is this a bird you raised yourself? thanks for posting him
  • THANKS! He puts a good body on his pullets with good wings held up where they are suppose to be. I brought him outside to get alittle sunshine and he doesn't like to pose for the camera.
  • No posers here! Wild yard birds.
    100_0744.JPG
    351 x 336 - 48K
    100_0746.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 3M
    100_0746.JPG
    4608 x 3456 - 3M
    100_0749.JPG
    448 x 336 - 47K