Wheaten Old English - Page 5 - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Wheaten Old English

Comments

• tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    OK BILL I DONT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.
  • Now, I know what the OEGB Cookie Jar is :-B
  • adminadmin Durant, OK
    Bill & Tracy,
    Too late, you've already been caught. I'm a mother and I have eyes in the back of my head. Like any good parent, I have to choose my battles. I'm glad to see you guys figured it out and did the right thing. I'm proud of you!
  • Sorry Sherri, Have a nice day. LOL
  • adminadmin Durant, OK
    No need to be sorry. It's all good. :)
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    ADMIN, I WILL BE A GOOD BOY FROM NOW ON.
  • I don't know if Tracy really means it or not though. His sincerity is questionable! Watch him close!
    Bill
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    edited August 2012
    I don't know if Tracy really means it or not though. His sincerity is questionable! Watch him close!
    Bill</blockquote RIGHT ON BILL,TRACY'S SINCERITY GETS A RATING OF 4 PINNOCHIO'S (NOT GOOD TRACY). THIS COMES FROM A "friend" OF YOURS. Don't kill the messenger.

• I now have a male and female Wheaten line. Jeff Burkhart taught me a few things about his female line, and Bill taught me a few things about the TNT male line he sent me home with. I have also read the Wheaten section of "Old English Game Bantams as Bred and Shown in the United States" multiple times. Here are some of the things I have learned so far:

For my female line, it is my understanding that I need to look for smaller males with wide breasts. There is to be an even shade of wheat across the back area on females. Only the top sickles should be stippled with wheat.

For my male line, it is my understanding that I need to looks for darker females with more wheat stippling in the tail feathers. The cockerels should have a black breast with little to no red speckling. The primary wing feathers should be edged with black.

The should be no black hackles in either sex.

Does anybody have anything to add that may not have been written in the Jeffrey book? I love this variety and want to learn as much as possible about it.
  • So for the female line, "only the top sickles should be stippled with wheat. The main tail should be black in pullets because as the bird matures and molt, each successive molt will bring more wheat color into the main tail" -Jeffrey

In the male line, is more stippling in the tail feathers desired in pullets? Does this produce more good coloring in cockerels, or does it add to undesirable speckling in the breast?
  • What would be the best cock if I want to breed dark wheaton hens? I want some lighter pullets...
  • What would be the best cock if I want to breed dark wheaton hens? I want some lighter pullets...
    So your hens are dark and you want to breed for some lighter ones?

Find a lighter colored cock to help balance the color out. If you want them even lighter, breed those pullets to a lighter colored cock again.

• How important is it that the "beak of the male be light horn and not partially dark?" I found this in an article on Wheatens by La Reu L. Fulmer. He made no mention of the females' beaks. Would the coloring not need to be the same?
  • Jordan, how are the young ones coming along? Are they growing good?
    Bill
  • The young ones are looking great, and I am very happy with them. The only issue I have is one of those cockerels has still got that cold. I ran out of the antibiotics and Petsmart said they didn't have any. What do you recommend I try now?

I like the other two cockerels--especially that last one you put in the cage for me. I am going to breed him to the pullets I got from you then I may put him over those Burkhart pullets afterwords.

Some half pint galvinized feeders and waterers arrived in the mail today. They hook perfectly to the 1/2" hardware cloth on my pens. I think it is going to help with food waste and spilled water.

A bag of Big V Show Broiler Krumbles will be arriving for me at D&L this week. I'm going to pick it up Friday and can't wait to try it.

I haven't seen a bird yet that I like more than the Wheaten Old English Game Bantam. God willing, I will be working with them and learning about them for years to come. If you ever find any information or articles on them, I'd appreciate it if you'd send it my way.

Here's a photo of that cockerel.
    TNT_Cockerel_1.jpg
    640 x 427 - 108K
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Jordan, if you have an Atwoods or Tractor Supply close by you might pick up some Tylan 50. I would probably give the bird around a half cc for about 3 days?.... Good luck.
  • Here's a photo of one of my Burkhart pullets. I would appreciate any positive or negative comments about these birds that will help me learn.
    Burkhart_Pullet_1.jpg
    640 x 427 - 101K
  • Jordan, if you have an Atwoods or Tractor Supply close by you might pick up some Tylan 50. I would probably give the bird around a half cc for about 3 days?.... Good luck.
    Thanks, scratch! I'll give it a try.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Is that pullet female line? She is deffinatly NICE!
  • I like both the male is got a really short back. Should throw some good females. The female looks good far as type and color. To me type and body are what I look for. I like them to look small but when you hold them you feel a good body. I'd take them both man they look good.