Wood shavings or Sand? - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Wood shavings or Sand?

scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
edited January 2014 in Somethin' to Crow About
Which do you prefer? I have been using wood shavings in my keep boxes but I think I may change out to sand. I read somewhere that someone was using sand and some kind of cat litter tool to clean the sand. I think I will try it.

Comments

• Both .. I use shaving for my adults and sand for the young ones
  • nboonnboon Princeton Texas
    I use America choice mini flake and a cat scoop clean em every day change shavings every every week or two
  • I have tried them both and I find it just as easy to change out the shavings every 2 or 3 weeks than to clean out the sand and it is cheaper as well as if you don't have the time I think chips are better . I know that there is a lot opinions on this but this is my experience. I do put sand in my ground pens every so often to keep fresh dirt for them to scratch in.
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    Thanks guys. I really like the shavings also. But I do think I will give the sand a try in certain situations. I think I will like sand better in my barrels because of the outdoors and rain. ???
  • I know the baby's do better on the sand for me . And seem not to be as wasteful also with there feed !!
  • I know the baby's do better on the sand for me . And seem not to be as wasteful also with there feed !!
    I know a lot of old {bleep} that would mix sand with the chick feed to act a form of grit, That makes sense that it work good for young birds, both in reducing feed waste and for the general health so long as it was cleaned or changed regularly.
  • Hmm never thought of that cjarvis. Thanks for the post gonna try in my new brooder.
  • I'm a brick mason you know so I just bring a few five gal buckets home from time to time
  • scratchscratch Mannsville, Oklahoma
    I'm not positive but I think Bill T. has a truck load of sand brought in to his place. I think for us non brick layers that would be the most economical.
  • I know I can get it for around 350 a truck load. Its not bad priced, and if you have grand kids a sand box is always fun so long as they get in it before they go home.
  • Over all last year was the best year I've ever had ( knock on wood ) with baby's .. Clean waters good food and clean cages !!! If it hatched it was grown for the most part !!
  • I have used the sand from lowes in bags for kids sand box and used cat litter scoop, it's works well but seems to be to dry to me.
  • we use creek sand in most of our pens, just take the litter scoop and rake out the droppings
  • we use creek sand in most of our pens, just take the litter scoop and rake out the droppings
    You have bigger creeks out there I guess, we call it River Sand..
  • I use some sand in my flight pens but wood shavings in my houses and breeder pens. Sand is heavy and difficult to handle with my old back. Shavings are far easier to shovel.
  • Cree
    we use creek sand in most of our pens, just take the litter scoop and rake out the droppings

You have bigger creeks out there I guess, we call it River Sand..
    lol. ya you you could just get u some out of the crick
  • So... you can use sand in your peep boxes? I had thought about using non-scented sand kitty litter but was afraid the peeps might mistake it for food? and eat too much of it. If it gets up in the upper 40's this weekend like they are saying it will I'm going to mix up some unscented kitty litter or play sand and bring out my large fortex tub and make up a dusting bin for them. I usually mix in some DE just to kill any bugs hanging around.
  • The sand will do them good !!! I will warn ya though they will get it their eyes early on but they'll be ok ! Works great
  • Is the river sand the best or field sand?? The field sand is a little heavier, packs a little more and dont blow around as much but wont sift for cleaning near as easy as the river sand would. I am planning on getting a load shortly of one or the other.