split tails - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

split tails

edited December 2013 in Madder than a Wet Hen
Is this a split tail black?
20131215_133652.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 3M
20131215_133648.jpg
3264 x 2448 - 2M

Comments

• tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    I WOULD SAY YES BY THE PIC ANYWAY.
  • Not split tailed. On Split tails all feathers on each side lean out, not just the sickle feathers.Check American Standard of Perfection has a good illustration of a split tail. Split tail on a ckl. is only a 2 point cut anyway.Bird having the best body, type & condition could still win.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    IN A GOOD CLASS I CANNOT SEE IT HAPPEN, ONLY WAY IS IF YOU HAD 2 OR 3 BIRDS IN A CLASS AND THE SPLIT TAIL WAS OUTSTANDING AND THE REST WERE 5.00 BIRDS.ALSO A COCK AND HEN IS A DISQ.
  • would this be considered split tail?
    image.jpg
    640 x 960 - 144K
  • I hear lots of discussion lately on this subject at the shows. Mostly it is in the Black, Brassy, Blue and Splash aisles. Not to say that any other varieties can't have this. But for some reason the birds carrying black in some way have this problem.
    Brad, I call that a gap not a split. As Cooper has said in a previous post a true split tail is separated from the base of the tail all the way to the end. A gap tail is not a good trait regardless, and is a BAD defect that is going thru several lines of blacks and birds in other varieties that are black based.
  • If he got all his tail feathers then that would be a split tail. I had a black pullet once that had 8 tail feathers on each side and dropped the top two. You would swear she was a seven feathered split tail when you saw her like that. lol
  • Ok thanks for clearing it up more for me. I've seen a few but wasn't sure if this is a true split tail or not. Thank you sir
  • That is not a true split tail. But not something that I would breed from.It is a bad defect..Everyone needs to pull out their APA Standard and look at the illustration as to what a true tail looks like.I used to see a lot of it in product
  • Didn't type all of it.LOL should say a true Split tail and in production birds like leghorns.If you ever see one you will know it for sure,
  • cockofthewalkcockofthewalk Mead, Oklahoma
    You got a standard D W ?
  • Apa via crackerjack , and aba via cockofthewalks, which is helpful if used to read rather than used as a pillow. I had an old aba standard, but it was lost in a divorce many moons ago.
  • If I have to show birds that look like that in the tail I will just quit breeding OE and find something else to do .
  • so a split tail you can see all through, and the tail makes a V
  • That's correct.Good way of putting it. just like a v.
  • When you can see daylight down through the tail that is split tail to me I have seen some you could read a newspaper .
  • Black, I would never breed from birds like that myself. But it is just a defect, just like high tails , low wings & etc.
  • ok now i have a clear understanding
  • edited December 2013
    With all due respect Mr cooper it's more than a defect on my place it's a death sentence for them and I would never show that junk cause that's just what it is A bunch of junk .
  • I would never keep one like that either. But have never had one in my line of Blacks.
  • That's more than some will ever get BLJ...