Fluff - OEGB Int'l Society

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fluff

Okay guys, exactly how much fluff is "too much" fluff. I had a great bird passed over this season at a show that I was told had too much fluff. I consider "too much" to be a patch sticking up at the base of the saddle. This bird had just a little on each side of his tail showing. What do you folks consider too much? I've heard some people say that any at all is too much.

Comments

• Any for me is to much.
  • tracytracy AMARILLO,TX.
    BARRY MOST MALE O.E. HAS FLUFF IF THE FLUFF IS GREY IN COLOR ON A BB RED YOU DON'T NOTICE IT AS BAD AS WHITE. IF ALL EQUAL THE BIRD WITH LESS FLUFF WILL WIN EVERY TIME. TUFF QUESTION I HATE WHEN I GET A GREAT BIRD IN HAND AND HE IS OVERLOADED WITH FLUFF.I HATE TO SAY THIS BUT MOST FLUFF IS WORKED ON ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.REMEMBER IF YOU CAN'T TELL YOU CAN'T DQ THEM.
  • if you can rub the saddle feathers up the tail and cover the fluff, I would say its ok
  • a little fluff is not a dq, excessive fluff is. if it looks like peter cottontail is hid under there it is
  • Great question for our judges here. Tracy is right about working on it so it don't show. A person with a light touch and a lit cigarette can work wonders with it and make the transition from back to tail smooth as silk. Knowing that the feather has two parts, the web and the fluff there is also a problem with fluff that ain't so obvious unless you take the bird in hand. I am talking about the soft feel of the females. Seems the BB females with the finer stippling always have a soft feel to them. Don't know why that is but just seems to be that way.
  • Yeah and when you carry him to champion row and it sticks oout like a sore thumb what are you going to tell you judging buddy,nothing cause he ant listening
  • When they took the abrupt break out of the standard they should have put in any fluff at the base of tail should be a DQ
  • edited November 2013
    Seen it done Tim. Personally, I don't want to win that bad to do it but seen people do it. The worse thing I ever done as far as faking goes is remove a little stubble from between the toes of my Wyandottes but that is common practice amongst the Wyandotte breeders. Heard this problem is also common in Japs but never messed with them so I don't know.
  • aint going to tell him nothing , HE PICKED IT LOL.
  • I'm not against anyone trying to help their bird but if you get caught don't cry wolf.
  • I guess I'm to tuff ?
  • But when I go to champion row if I got a good one you don't have to say to much.
  • No not at all Tim. You just are blessed to stick to what you believe in and not be swayed by public opinion. That is a great quality in a person.
  • tuff no, pet pev yes lol
  • Thanks kjundog
  • And tater if you can pass your test you will have them to. LOL
  • When I started judging Johnny flowers told me I was to soft on champion row that I should stand up for what I believe in I thought about that alot,I didn't want to be a butt to my colleagues so the only way I knew how to get respect was put the best up that I could find I guess it worked.
  • got mine already, durppy lesser. lol
  • I got a droppy tail after that ball gameLOL